• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Mobile too "offline"

stiltzkin

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just bought BeerSmith Mobile. Looks great but I think it's lacking some key features. What I was looking for was an app that automatically synced all my profiles, recipes, brew logs, settings (like metric unit settings etc) and everything else in my desktop version of BeerSmith.

At the moment it's just an freestanding app on another devices. It's just like buying BeerSmith for another computer. I still have setup everything and the two computers would not be in sync.

Is full sync something that we could expect in the future?

To sync any of your custom mash, equipment, or ingredient profiles is easy enough. Just open one of your recipes, tap on the equipment profile to view it, then click on "store in my profiles". It's easy enough. Granted an autosyc would be easier but that would require a lot of additional coding in both Beersmith Desktop as well as Beersmith mobile. I think the route Brad took on it was easy enough.

Yes,
  I am looking at possibly adding more advanced sync options - for example a lot of people want the ability to sync inventory and the shopping list, and its not a huge leap from that to also keeping ingredients synched.  However, that will require changes to the desktop app, cloud and mobile app so it is a bit of a project to get it all working smoothly.

Brad

Cybberia said:
To sync any of your custom mash, equipment, or ingredient profiles is easy enough. Just open one of your recipes, tap on the equipment profile to view it, then click on "store in my profiles". It's easy enough. Granted an autosyc would be easier but that would require a lot of additional coding in both Beersmith Desktop as well as Beersmith mobile. I think the route Brad took on it was easy enough.

The problem is that if I change a profile on one device I have to remember to change it on the other device too. Very easy to get out of sync. If recipes can be synced easily, on the fly, why not profiles? =)

BeerSmith said:
Yes,
  I am looking at possibly adding more advanced sync options - for example a lot of people want the ability to sync inventory and the shopping list, and its not a huge leap from that to also keeping ingredients synched.  However, that will require changes to the desktop app, cloud and mobile app so it is a bit of a project to get it all working smoothly.

Brad

Don't get me wrong. I think the mobile version is a massive step in the right direction. With full sync it would be perfect =)

I have to agree. I too would like all settings synced.
For the meantime I have had a refund on the Play store until some more functionality arrives.

I have copies of the desktop version installed at home and at work, both of them saving all of the data to dropbox.  Any change I make in one  place propagates to the other. It works quite well.  I'm certain the mobile version uses different files so this probably wouldn't work "out of the box" but I too would appreciate that sort of synchronicity.  That said, I don't really need full recipe and equipment editing on my mobile device (a tablet I would use during brewing) but it would be nice to be able to take notes, tweak quantities, etc.

Back