• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith Report to extract all your brewday actual values

chesl

Apprentice
Reaction score
One of the (small) things I don't like about Brewsmith is the lack of ability to record your brew day values/measurements for your recipe and then be able to look at these values across recipes over time etc.
I've come up with a solution that works for me so I thought I'd share it in case anyone finds it useful.
The idea is that you type up your brewday info and key measurements in the Notes section of your recipe, this must be in a set format and done in a specific way. An example would be something like:

Mash:
Mashed at 66 for 90mins. Gravity = 1.040
Pre Boil volume = 13.60L
Overshot gravity, diluted with 0.5 L of water to get gravity = 1.039
Pre Boil Volume now (VIB) = 14.1 L
(DIL) = 0.5 L
(SGR) = 1.039

Boil:
Boiled for 60mins
(VFO) = 11.1 L
(OGR) = 1.050
(OGB) = 12.6
Overshot gravity but just left it as-is.
Evaporation = 14.1 - 11.1 = (EVA) = 3.0L

For each of your key measurements as per above, say evaporation, you just need to use (EVA) = 3.0L.
You need the open bracket, the uppercase value EVA and the close bracket, you need the space and then the equals sign and then another space and then your measured value.
You then do the same for the other values such as preboil volume (VIB) = 14.10L or Original Gravity (OGR) = 1.050  ....etc.

This might sound hard but you copy and paste my example and then use this everytime and just change the numbers.

Once you've done this and saved your recipe you then run a report I've created that pulls out all these values in a row (the way it does this is that it uses Javascript to parse the Notes section in Beersmith and look for each of these ...(VIB) flags and get the numeric value. You then do a simple copy and paste into an Excel spreadsheet I've attached, in the 'Data' worksheet on the next line (I find when you paste you select 'keep formatting same as destination' and this automatically works out all the number formats for you).

You now have a record in a spreadsheet of all your brews and all the key actual measurements and estimates and comments. If you are that way inclined, you could look at averages and variances and look at trends in your brewing figures over time etc.

For me, it's a good way to summarise and track all my brew day actual measurements across all my recipes.

I've attached the Beersmith report I've created for this.
I've attached a sample spreadsheet that shows my last three brews (BIAB) that you can use to keep track of the results as described above.
The 'Data' tab is where you copy/paste your values from the Beersmith report.
The 'Calcs' tab just shows some simple averages and variances that you can show based on this data.
The 'Definitions' tab describes all the columns in the 'Data' tab and where the value comes from and what it means.
The final tab shows my sample Beersmith brew day information that generates all this information and this is what you'd use in the Notes section of your recipe.

If you have any questions etc or it doesn't make sense, happy to help.

Cheers

Attachments

• brewlog_report.html
    3.8 KB · Views: 522
  • BrewLog Summary.xls
    39.5 KB · Views: 568
Back