• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith Unregistered + Factory Reset?

Imburr

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have not opened the program in 4 months. When I did, it told me it was unregistered. I re-registered it, and all of my custom profiles, notes, and sessions are gone- everything.

When I go to Documents > BeerSmith2 > Archive there are a bunch of files in there. When I open each file, I get a fragment of the data that was there before.

How can I fix this?

Hi,
  The most likely cause of this is somehow having moved or removed your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.
This could happen if you changed your user account/login settings, moved Document drives, renamed or moved
the directory itself.  Its also possible that backup software such as OneDrive or iCloud moved or archived the data
automatically.

Recommended actions:
  - Backup your current Documents/BeerSmith2 directory by making a complete copy of it (useful below)
  - Check your backup software to see if it may have archived or moved the directory somewhere else
  - If you use backup software you may also be able to find and recover a backup of the entire directoy
  - Search your folders for *.bsmx to see if the data is elsewhere on your drive (Recipe.bsmx has your recipe data)
  - Check your recycle/trash bin to see if you accidentally deleted the BeerSmith2 directory

If you find data somewhere else you can do the following:
  - Open BeerSmith, then use File->Open to open Recipe.bsmx and verify that it has your data
  - If it does you can use copy/paste to copy all of your recipes back to My Recipes
  - You can do the same with other files such as Equipment.bsmx except you past it into your equipment view

You can also try the automatic backup feature, but this will only work if you've not moved/delete the directory:
  - Go to File->Recover from Backup (only available in latest version)
  - From here you can open numbered backup files (shown by date) in a separate tab
  - If they are valid you can also use the same tool to recover the data

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  The most likely cause of this is somehow having moved or removed your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.
This could happen if you changed your user account/login settings, moved Document drives, renamed or moved
the directory itself.  Its also possible that backup software such as OneDrive or iCloud moved or archived the data
automatically.

Recommended actions:
  - Backup your current Documents/BeerSmith2 directory by making a complete copy of it (useful below)
Done
  - Check your backup software to see if it may have archived or moved the directory somewhere else
I run a Windows Domain, with Folder Redirection, then the server is backed up. I do have weekly backups dating back several months which I can pull the directory from.
  - If you use backup software you may also be able to find and recover a backup of the entire directoy
I will check.
  - Search your folders for *.bsmx to see if the data is elsewhere on your drive (Recipe.bsmx has your recipe data)
Just in the default location.
  - Check your recycle/trash bin to see if you accidentally deleted the BeerSmith2 directory
I did not.

If you find data somewhere else you can do the following:
  - Open BeerSmith, then use File->Open to open Recipe.bsmx and verify that it has your data
  - If it does you can use copy/paste to copy all of your recipes back to My Recipes
  - You can do the same with other files such as Equipment.bsmx except you past it into your equipment view

You can also try the automatic backup feature, but this will only work if you've not moved/delete the directory:
  - Go to File->Recover from Backup (only available in latest version)
  - From here you can open numbered backup files (shown by date) in a separate tab
  - If they are valid you can also use the same tool to recover the data
I do have backups, but they are all dated recently and do not contain my old data, only default new data.

It seems like I should comb through my backup and pull the directory down then open it and copy it into my recipes. Ill update you on the results.

I pulled a backup from June. I opened up Recipe5. and managed to get most of my recipes. I checked 4-0 and could not get about 3 recipes I am missing. Also unable to recovered my equipment profile... But that is easily recreated. I will pull another backup and check to see if my missing recopies are there. Thanks for your help!

Your equipment profile should be in each recipe. So should your custom mash, fermentation and carbonation profiles. You can save from the recipe back into the database by clicking the disc icon next to the profile name in the recipe.

You should find all equipment profiles in Equipment5 or 0-4, as you did with respect to recipes.

Back