• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BEERSMITH V2 QUESTION

ABREWCADABREW

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just installed BeerSmith2 on a Windows 7 machine - and am LOVING it.

My question is this:

In the BeerSmith2 folder now located in my "Documents" folder there seems to be two of each file.

Examples: Recipe.bsmx and Recipe1.bsmx; Notes.bsmx and Notes1.bsmx

Does anyone else get this? Is this normal? Did I wonk the installation process?

Cheers to Brad for rolling this out on schedule - Happy Brewing everyone

I also have two of each file in my Beersmith2 folder. 

It seems to append each time you log out of the program - I now have "Filename#.bsmx" files.

Surely this a bug?

Anyone? Brad? Halp?

"bug" is a harsh term (to programmer's ears). If the program is operating normally at the interface, then what goes on behind the scenes, or in the file structure, may be just as planned.

Did you open the files in notepad or check the hash to see if the are the same?  It could be that they are duplicates for undo functions or maybe one is a working scratch file when open in case of an abnormal exit. Anyway, unless they are growing unabated into the MB range, I would not worry about them. If it is a bug, it would be at the bottom of my list ( all else being equal).

Brew on brother!

Cheers

I opened a few, and they looked like screen shots and temp files to speed page load times for common pages. 

And they are all 1 kb. 

DelRider said:
"bug" is a harsh term (to programmer's ears). If the program is operating normally at the interface, then what goes on behind the scenes, or in the file structure, may be just as planned.

Did you open the files in notepad or check the hash to see if the are the same?  It could be that they are duplicates for undo functions or maybe one is a working scratch file when open in case of an abnormal exit. Anyway, unless they are growing unabated into the MB range, I would not worry about them. If it is a bug, it would be at the bottom of my list ( all else being equal).

Brew on brother!

Cheers

Apologies, mine. I should have asked, "Is this something that was or wasn't intended?"

MaltLicker said:
I opened a few, and they looked like screen shots and temp files to speed page load times for common pages. 

And they are all 1 kb. 

Indeed. I only "freaked" because I prefer tidy (and sanitized) workspaces (and quickly had a nightmare vision of a folder with files in the "Filename91210.bsmx" range).

Let me reiterate: I love this program.

Brew on, brothers!

Hi,
  The program automatically makes backups of your key files and keeps something like 6 or 7 of them.

Maybe its because I'm paranoid but I hate losing data, so I figure the best thing to do was to keep multiple copies around so if you ever had a crash (or even just wanted to recover something you accidentally deleted) you could use the old copy.

BeerSmith 1 also did this, but you probably never noticed since the files were stored in the program files directory.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  The program automatically makes backups of your key files and keeps something like 6 or 7 of them.

Maybe its because I'm paranoid but I hate losing data, so I figure the best thing to do was to keep multiple copies around so if you ever had a crash (or even just wanted to recover something you accidentally deleted) you could use the old copy.

BeerSmith 1 also did this, but you probably never noticed since the files were stored in the program files directory.

Brad

Thanks for the explanation, Brad. Again, I only noticed because I like clean processes (and as little folders as possible); I just needed to know what was going on.

No worries, here. And (I've already said this a gajillion times: I love this version!)

Hope the barley crusher is as good as this! ;)

Back