• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best burner to get for BIAB

tpw

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm looking for a propane burner to start my venture into BIAB. Any suggestions for a good one? How many BTU's to look for? I've sen some that sit low to the ground and others that stand up higher. Any stability issues with a 8-10 gallon brew pot? Cast iron, or steel? Any other suggestions out there?

Personally, if I were starting over, I would go electric. Propane gets expensive and always runs out on you at the absolute worst times. That being said, I have both an inexpensive turkey fryer propane burner and a couple more expensive ones (bayou classic and hurricane) and they all do the job. My hurricane does a better job on 10+ gallons but I make far more 5 gallon batches and on those I'm constantly turning that one down because it's such a monster.

I have a Blichmann burner and it's worked great for me.  I bought it before they put out their Hellfire burner.  I always have two propane tanks, just in case one runs out.

I purchased the Edelmetal Bru burner.  I was thinking about the Blichmann but found the Edelmetal on sale.  It works great and I am really happy with it.

I use a King Kooker burner that's rated at 65,000BTUs. I do full volume boil 5.5 gallon batches using the BIAB method  with a pre boil volume of about  8 1/2 gallons.. This burner heats to a boil in a reasonable period of time and I need to almost shut it down to maintain a healthy boil.

Back