• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Better Support for No Sparge

McCue

Apprentice
Reaction score
I think more and more people are simplifying brew day by going no sparge.  The way I would like to see this work is you input a standard fly sparge recipe and it calculates the scale up factor and all other modified values via Ken Schwartz's no sparge equations http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/files/nbsparge.html#no-sparge

It could scale up the grain bill, calculate the new infusion volumes, give you a list of steps etc... just like it does with the other sparge methods.  I know you can kinda fudge this with BIAB but you have to make assumptions about your efficiency which changes with no sparge depending on your grain volume.  Larger grain bills require larger scale up factors...

I'd like to see this too. I am interested in using no-sparge for making starter worts where the cost for producing it with malt is half what it would cost to purchase DME. I don't mind being a bit more inefficient if I am able to be finished in two hours.

+1

Even info for a work around would be great.

I'm going to be taking my first foray into no-sparge on Monday but would love to have BeerSmith's help in a more involved sort of way. :D

Did a no sparge today and discovered that there is a bit of a work around in BeerSmith.

When you select a Mash Profile you can edit it. In the editing window you'll see down near the bottom there is a check box for BIAB Mash with full boil. I think that is as close as I can get but the volumes for strike water etc. are not correct. I enter 7 gallons as my boil volume basis and it tells me that my strike water volume should be 28 quarts. That's fine except that won't leave me with a boil volume of 7 gallons as it's not accounting for absorption.

Close...

Edit: I just went back to check and what I ended up doing was creating a "No Sparge" mash profile using 7 gallons as my boil volume base and the BIAB full volume mash check box checked. Doing that combined with my equipment details did give me a correct strike water volume of 31.39 qts. That seems closer to what is needed. 7 gal + absorption + dead space.

How much did you increase your grains by?  I've heard anywhere from a 20-50 percent so how do you know?  BS doesn't change the preboil gravity when going from batch sparging to your BIAB setup.  To me, no sparge is a crap shoot.

There are other and better resources out there than myself. I did find some info here:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/files/nbsparge.html

That said, all I did was come up with a fairly sizable grain bill and figure I would get what I get. I also blogged about it here:

http://itswhatsontap.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/spargeless/

I could have calculated it out the wazoo but that's not how I brew. It's grain plus water (all of it) and dump it in to the boil kettle.

Back