• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil volume to get 2.5 gal in my new Brewdemon fermenter

BrewSmilee

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey there folks,

I've been doing mostly partial grain 5 gal batches for the last couple years.  Recently started doing BIAB in 5 gal batches as well.  However, now I am looking to reduce my batch sizes, and brew more frequently or for more variety.  So, along with the one gal jugs, I've got myself a Brewdemon fermenter for a little larger single batch.  I'm just trying to figure out my profile set up now.

The fermenter has a max capacity of 3 gal, thus should have sufficient head space for about 2.5 gal max.
The cone seems to measure about 18oz to the spigot.
I know pot boil loss rate will be needed, and I'm firing up some water to get a measure on that.

how can I calculate the trub loss?

What else am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Smilee

Trub loss in the fermentor?  Plan on 2.5 gal into the fermentor and, on your next batch, measure the trub level in the fermentor (if marked for volume) or the beer bottled out of the fermentor.

Trub loss in the process, plan on a post boil volume of 2.75 gal and see how much is actually left over when you put 2.5 gal into the fermentor.  You can then look and see if there was more you could have put into the fermentor or if you ran a little short and then adjust your 0.25 gal overage accordingly.  Enter this as your loss to trub and adjust your planned brew back to 2.5 gal.

In my system, I plan on brewing 11 liters post-boil, with 10 liters going to the fermentor and 1 liter as trub.  In most of the recipes I make, I could take the trub down to about 0.5 liters, but I like the consistency of filling my fermentor to the 10 liter mark and measuring what is left.  In high hop loaded IPAs and DIPAs, I end up with right around 1 liter of trub.

Thanks for that. 

Yeah, not trub in fermenter.  Guess I was really thinking of the process, and scaling down to the 2.5 gal batch to fit in the Brewdemon.

Back