• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boiling wort on BBQ?

kcreiglow

Apprentice
Reaction score
I really want to move my brew operation outside.  I've been boiling my water on the stove but was thinking of getting a propane burner.  I then looked at the BBQ and thought, that should do it... Right?

Has anyone ever done this?  Is it effective enough to get the job done in 60-90 min?  Or should I go out and buy a $40 burner?

I would put a pot of water the same size as your normal brew on the BBQ and see what happens. Whenever I change anything on my equipment, I do a water brew first just to test.
Let us know how it works.

I think you will use less propane with a dedicated burner. My BBQ burners are shaped quite differently than my boil pot so I think a lot of heat would be lost.  It might pay for itself in a year or so.

I thought about trying charcoal as a heat source just for fun. Then I realized the black pot and no way to adjust the flame was a huge buzz-kill. My propane grill won't probably get hot enough for a 20 Gallon Blichmann. I'll stick to a proper burner.

Back