• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing Malt Going Up In Price?

DaveinPa

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
With all of commodities going up (Thank you Ben Bernake :mad:) I've been expecting to see grain prices going up.  I recently came across this article: http://www.beer-universe.com/beer-education-article/2011-03-08/Brewers-Must-Capitalize-on-Barley-Prices-Now/.  Seems the latest barley crop was affected by poor weather and is expected to be much smaller than normal.  I also read another aticle recently, which I can't find the link to, that stated that many grain farmers are opting to switch to corn from other grains due to the demand/price from ethanol production.  Barley planting, according to the article, may be cut by up to 30% this year.

It seems Golden Promise might actually become "golden" thanks to a covergence of circumstances  ::).  I'm stocking up on base malt for the beer styles I like most by buying in bulk bags.  I'll only be buying the specialty grains as needed going forward. 

Ziggy,
  I have already thought about this, according to THE HOMEBREWERS GARDEN  800 square feet can yield enough for 5 full allgrain batches. An acre is 43,650 sf , that's about 55 (800 sf)'s
THat's 272 brews. Now I'm thinkin about Maris Otter for half and another american 2 row on the other half and maybe a little wheat for a few brews too. Now I gotta find a tractor.
  just thinkin aloud again. Actually get 20 vines and you can get 20 lbs of hops.

Not to rain on anyone's crop, but I would think malting would be a pain.  The dream is nice though. :)

DaveinPa said:
Not to rain on anyone's crop, but I would think malting would be a pain.  The dream is nice though. :)

Definitely Dave.  I could only get as far as seeding and watching it grow. I can't picture myself actually harvesting and malting barley. Maybe turning extra hops into a grain buying profit is more possible. Or better yet, just work a second job to pay for grain, oh wait, then when do I brew? Oh God this is getting complicated! You've announced the Apocalypse to us all Dave. Curse you! :mad:

Maybe I'm just in a false panic. (LOL) How much more per pound will we be paying? Homebrewers are hardcore -- we can make it through this. But seriously, joking aside, thanks for the heads-up. I was trying to deside between a March pump or a grain mill next. I think it will be the mill and a few bags of 2-row. ;)

In Eastern WA where the vineyards abound many of the farmers are tearing out the grapes to plant hops.  Kinda sad seeing the established vineyards go :-\  Even if it is for hops.

You've announced the Apocalypse to us all
Both my sons are Eagle Scouts - guess some of "be prepared" has rubbed off on me  :).

How much more per pound will we be paying?
I don't know, but gas is closing in on double.  Paying double for my grain bill wouldn't break me but it might make me a little less eager to experiment, which would take away some of the fun that is home brewing.

I think it will be the mill and a few bags of 2-row
My thoughts exactly  ;)

DaveinPa said:
many grain farmers are opting to switch to corn from other grains

if the gods give you lemons make lemon aid, if they give you grains make beer, if they give you corn ........  i have a great recipe for a nice corn wine just dont store it in the freezer or in any kind of copper storage container at 172deg. F. that could lead to some legal issues. :p 

Back