• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brewing sequence?

Johnnyv42

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm doing a bit of planning for some brews I'll make about a month from now (it's so cool to be thinking about all the beers I'm going to make!) and I want to re-use the yeast from one batch to make the other. I've made a smoked black IPA that my friends and I like so I want to make that again, but I also want to make a higher gravity IPA. The OG for the black IPA 1.061, FG 1.013. I'd like the IPA to be an even higher OG, in the 1.075 range. I'm thinking I should make the English/American IPA first so that it doesn't pick up any smoked malt flavor. But it occurred to me that I might want to brew the lower OG beer first, would it be better for the yeast? I don't know, any suggestions?

According to Jamil, yes, repitching works best when starting with lower gravity brews and progressing to the higher gravity brews.  Apparently this is how he stages his brews in this way from session beer to barleywine. 

Back