• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brewing with vanilla

B

beau408

I'm looking to brew a bourbon vanilla stout.  All-grain 5.5 gal batch.  I've never brewed with vanilla before.  My plans are to use two vanilla beans cut, and soaked in bourbon, then added to the secondary.  Is this enough vanilla?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have not tried Vanilla yet, but it sound like a solid idea. I have used bourbon soaked Oak, the bourbon comes through, so don't use to much or your beer will taste like bourbon.

Cheers
Preston

I don't know about using vanilla beans.  It depends on how much flavor you really want.  You might also try adding vanilla extract if you need more of a vanilla flavor.

Steve

I have tried it twice. Once on a Stout. I used 2 beans split then soaked in vodka. The flavor was minimal. Just today I added 4 beans split soaked in vodka. Oh the vodka soaking is to kill any bugs. Good luck with your stout.

Back