• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brown Sugar Primer Carbonation Rate Relative To Corn Sugar

BeerBeforeLiquer

Apprentice
Reaction score
I made a pumpkin ale from a kit and used light brown sugar (mixed with cinnamon and spices) to bottle and liked the flavor it gave my beer.

I sampled a friends pumpkin ale and loved it. I asked him if he would send me his recipe and he graciously did. Now I am copying his recipe to Beersmith II. He force carbonates, whereas I bottle carbonate. I plan on bottling with brown sugar again with his recipe so I had to add brown sugar (light and dark) to the carbonation section in the program and when I did I noticed the different rates between the different sugars (ie honey has a carbonation rate 90.50 % relative to corn sugar).

Now my question is: Does does anyone know the carbonation rate for brown sugar (both light and dark) compared to corn sugar?

I would like to know so that I can set the priming effectiveness in the program.

So I take what your saying then is it will be the same as granulated sugar? What about the Molasses addition? Isn't molasses also a fermentable  and would add points to granulated sugar number?

So I take what your saying then is it will be the same as granulated sugar?

Basically.  I'd have to consult a cook book to be sure, but basically, yes. Can't go strictly off weight, since part of the weight of brown sugar is moisture from the molasses.

What about the Molasses addition? Isn't molasses also a fermentable  and would add points to granulated sugar number?

In this amount? No. We're talking a tablespoon or two over five gallons. 

You're really not gaining anything by using brown sugar instead of corn sugar. All you're really adding is a bit of uncertainty.

If you want molasses, add molasses to the recipe. Then prime with corn sugar.

Back