• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

By way of introduction

mahleywc

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Started brewing in 1968. I have been using BeerSmith since 2018. I currently brew on a custom 15 gallon Spike Trio and a custom 15 gallon Spike Solo. I have noticed some anomalies in mash volume and water to grist ratio calculations for the Spike Solo and have not been able to find a satisfactory explanation in the tutorial. I will be seeking answers here!

Your system is BIAB so use the BIAB mash profile. Water to grist is irrelevant since BIAB uses all the water from the very start.

Started brewing in 1968. I have been using BeerSmith since 2018. I currently brew on a custom 15 gallon Spike Trio and a custom 15 gallon Spike Solo. I have noticed some anomalies in mash volume and water to grist ratio calculations for the Spike Solo and have not been able to find a satisfactory explanation in the tutorial. I will be seeking answers here!
Welcome, @mahleywc
How was beer made in 1968? Were the recipes very different from today?
Cheers!

Welcome, @mahleywc
How was beer made in 1968? Were the recipes very different from today?
Cheers!
I can only tell you my experience . Recipe was Blue Ribbon Malt. It‘s a canned malt syrup that came in dark, light, hopped or unhopped. Take a couple of cans and add to a couple of gallons of boiling water in a pot or kettle on the kitchen stove. If you used unhopped syrup there was powdered Hallertauer hops in little packets available to add to the boiling “wort”. When it’s dissolved pour it into a 6-8 gallon crock (yes, an old-time pottery crock!). Top it up with cool tap water for five gallons. Add a pack of Fleischmann's yeast. Cover the crock with Saran Wrap and seal with a bunch of rubber bands tied together. Poke a small hole in the center of the Saran Wrap to let the CO2 escape. Put in the closet and wait a couple of weeks, or until the Saran Wrap collapses. Soak some washed, used beer bottles (Grölsch is perfect!) in a diluted solution of Clorox and water (instructions on the Clorox bottle). Add a little bit of sugar to each bottle. Siphon the “beer” from the crock into the bottles and cap (yes, there were caps and manual cappers available back then!). Put them into the closet and wait two weeks (if they don’t explode before then). Put into the refrigerator for a week, then open and drink. Yes, it was drinkable. Most important it was fun!

Back