• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cal Ale - DryYeast US-05 vs WLP001/1056

What's your prefered Cal Ale Yeast?

• US-05

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • White Labs WLP001

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wyeast 1056

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
M

Mij

Time after time, I realize that I'm ready to have a "spontaneous" brew day.  Usually that means that I've not prepared a "proper" starter - http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html  ;)

That being the case, I've really enjoyed the "freedom" of the US-05 Cal Ale yeast for those brews that use it.  My palate is not sophisticated enough to tell the difference and I'm curious what others think!

I haven't used the Wyeast or White Labs versions, But from what I've read in books and other forums, they are all the same thing. California Ale strain also commonly called the Chico strain.

It is nice to see some one come out of the closet with their unsophisticated palate.  I have question my local supply house on how big of a difference it makes between these yeast and they seem to think it makes a difference.  I cannot tell, but I have never split a batch of wort and used the two for the most fair comparison you can get.  With that being said I would have to vote for US-05 for its ease of use.

I have question my local supply house on how big of a difference it makes between these yeast and they seem to think it makes a difference.

I does make a difference.
A difference between them making a few cents or a few dollars.

My preference is 1056. Mainly because it was the first yeast I washed, and I have it in stock. Sometimes we get in a rut and just go with what we know, it doesn't make it right it's just what we are familiar with.
Cheers
Preston

Back