• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calculating Sparge Water

WillieDeBeer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
BS3.  Usually I batch sparge and have loved using the water profile tool and being able to import the water additions into my recipe.  However I am now having a go at fly sparging (Single Infusion, Medium Body, No mash out)and find that the amount of sparge water to use is incorrect (not enough) and hence the sparge water additions are out?  I can confirm this by using the "Water Needed Tool" and "Pre Boil Volume".  As the amount of sparge water required is a calculated field I have no control over adjusting the this amount along with the water additions. 
The only way I have overcome this is to use the "Water Profile Tool" and enter the correct amount of sparge water ( I also allow for leaving water over the heating element etc) then hit the Match Target Profile Button which then calculates the correct proportions for the additions.  I then manually enter the amounts into my recipe via the "Add Salts" in the "Water" menu.

I guess the way that I would fix this is to be able to manually change the Sparge water Vol like we can with the Mash water volume?  Any ideas??  Thanks

I have only tried fly sparging once and it was not a pleasant experience for me.  So take my feedback with a grain of salt.

In discussing this with several brewers who do fly sparge, they all tend to disregard exact requirements for sparge water calculations.  Instead, they heat up more water than they would use and the sparge until they reach their desired volume in the boil kettle.  Once they are done, they drain the remaining water from their mash tuns before dumping the spent grain and cleaning out.

Granted this is not a complete survey of practices and maybe some others can elaborate on different techniques.

Thats how I handle it Oginme. It would be nice if BS had a spot to input a user sparge water. I fill to 20-30G every time depending on how much i "need" and just use the rest for cleanup. It's nice having hot water ready for cleanup!

You can set up on the water tab in the recipe and specify the amount of water you want, not just what you need.  Then when you match a given water profile, the calculation will occur on the total amount of water you have added to the recipe.

Yep, That's how i handle it. Just use the water profile to obtain the total water corrections i need. I do think some user functionality would be improved it one could alter the amount of Sparge Water additions they used, as I'll often heat my sparge/hlt water separate from my mash/dough in water. Not at all a "need" more of a "want", considering there's such an easy work-around.

Back