• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calculation differences between desktop and mobile version???

cmcquistion

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been working on a recipe for a small scale test batch that is just an easy extract batch with specialty grains.  When I set up this batch on my iPhone/iPad, I get an OG of 1.053, but when I open the same recipe in the desktop app, I get an OG of 1.040.

I've tried different equipment profiles and have tweaked them, but I keep getting MUCH lower OG in the desktop app.  Can't figure out what the bug is and how to work around it.  I've included two screenshots below.

I don't have the mobile version, but the 2.5 gallons listed on the mobile app, Is that the into the fermenter amount or the finished amount?

grathan said:
I don't have the mobile version, but the 2.5 gallons listed on the mobile app, Is that the into the fermenter amount or the finished amount?

Into the fermenter.  Finished about is 2.13 gallons or something.  Mobile and Desktop versions both show 2.5 gallons into fermenter.

weird. What about loss to trub chiller in the equipment profile. Does either version have a loss set there?

grathan said:
weird. What about loss to trub chiller in the equipment profile. Does either version have a loss set there?

I checked and the trub loss and boil-off rate are the same in the mobile app and the desktop app for this equipment profile.

Dang, that difference is huge... Anyway that you can export the recipe files and attach them here to take a peek?

grathan said:
Dang, that difference is huge... Anyway that you can export the recipe files and attach them here to take a peek?

I've exported the recipe from the desktop app and attached it to this post.  If there is a way to export a recipe from the mobile app, I'm not sure how.

Attachments

• desktop-recipe.bsmx
    18.8 KB · Views: 203
Wierd I get 1.045 and not 1.040 OG when I look at it.

Something to consider about trub loss. When I set it to 0 it matches the 1.053. I have no idea why this changes OG. People have complained here. I think the software engineer may have reached competency limits with the mess Beersmith has become IMHO.

I have no idea why I get a different OG when I open that file. My Est Pre- Boil volume is also different at 4.12. Perhaps you've made changes since you took the pic?

grathan said:
I have no idea why I get a different OG when I open that file. My Est Pre- Boil volume is also different at 4.12. Perhaps you've made changes since you took the pic?

I think you're right.  I'm getting 1.045, too.  I think I probably made a change to the boiloff rate and/or trub loss.

I would put trub loss to 0 and figure another way around it in the software. You can search for posts on it here. There are lengthy ones that go unacknowledged by software people.

grathan said:
I would put trub loss to 0 and figure another way around it in the software. You can search for posts on it here. There are lengthy ones that go unacknowledged by software people.

Thanks.  I'll do that.  This particular batch is going to be a "No Chill" batch anyway, so I drain the entire kettle (including the hop and protein trub) into a 2.5 gallon "No Chill Cube", anyway.

After that has cooled down for a day, I rack off the trub into the fermenter, leaving all the hops and protein break.

grathan said:

That seems to have fixed it.  Now that I've set the trub loss to zero, I'm getting the same numbers on the desktop app and mobile app.

Back