• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can only open Beersmith, but not do anything in it

H

HB79

G'day, I am having a prob where I can only open Beersmith but can't actually get into recipes or perform any actions. Every time I try do open anything in the programme I get an error message from windows saying that it has encountered a problem and needs to close Beersmith. I haven't changed any settings on the programme or on my computer, so I have no idea what's goin on. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, HB79

Hi,
  Try the following patch:

http://beersmith.com/beersmith_patch.zip

Its only the executable, so you need to unzip the file and put it in your directory.  As I mentioned this is a temp patch.  I'm planning to do some more work on it before making it a formal release.

Thanks,

Brad

G'day Brad, I have tried the patch and it does not seem to be working (or i'm doing something wrong), I have unzipped the file and coppied it to the beersmith file and entered in my rego code again. Is there anything else that could solve the problem?

Hi,
The other thing to try is deleting the "newopts14.ini" file from your BeerSmith directory.  Note that if you are running on Vista you may also have to delete the file from the "compatability" directory which shows up when you open your BeerSmith directory under Windows file explorer.

Cheers,
Brad

Well,
  The last thing to try (which usually works) is to make a backup copy of your entire BeerSmith directory (plus the compatability directory if you are working under Vista) and then delete the original BeerSmith directory and reinstall.

Be sure that you have copies of all the *.BSM files saved off so you can open and import any information you need (including the Vista compatability copies if appropriate).

Also - delete the entire original BeerSmith directory to make sure everything is cleaned out.

It might be useful if you could send me your recipes.bsm file and *.ini files to run under the debugger.

Thanks
Brad

Hi, the first thing I tried was delete the whole programe off my computer and then reinstall, no luck with that.

HB79,
  Can you verify that you backed up/deleted the correct directory (usually its C:\Program Files\BeerSmith)?

Also make sure your BeerSmith icon points to the correct version.  In several cases as you describe someone had more than one copy installed or was running the copy from a different location than they originally thought they were.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad, yes the programe is in C:\Program Files\BeerSmith and I only have one copy installed, as for the icon? I'm not sure I know what you'r talking about, I just deleted Beersmith again and reinstalled and now I have lost all my recipes, but at the moment I'm more concerned about fixing this problem, Cheers

Hi Brad, I am now able to open and use Beersmith through the patch file, but I am constantly getting an error pop up everytime I click on any action, saying that the path could not be found, I click "ok" then it lets me go to the recipe or page I'm trying to get to. I can formulate a whole recipe without this error coming up but as soon as I try to print the page or preview the brewsheet I get the error and it wont let me print it. Any Ideas?

HB,
  In most cases this is a problem with not having used the setup program to install the program.  You should have a "templates" directory under the main BeerSmith directory that contains the templates used for print preview and printing.  If the program can't read this directory you will get an error of the type you describe.  Check to make sure you have the templates directory under your BeerSmith directory and that it is readable by the user you are running under.

Also it might help if you could tell me which path is unreadable.

Thanks,
Brad

Hey Brad,

It's the "templates" path that can't be found, I have tried a search on my computer and found the template files but if I try to import them to the patch I get "Not a valid beerXML file - import cancelled". I also can't keep the "misc" file imported, I do the import and it appears but if I go ,say, to "yeast" then back to "misc" it's gone.

HB,
  The template files need to be in a "templates" directory under the main BeerSmith directory where you have your executable.  They are used directly by the program to generate previews and prints.  You don't import them.

Ideally you should have installed BeerSmith using the normal route, and then dropped the patched executable into your BeerSmith directory to replace the existing executable.  This will maintain your settings, templates, help files, etc.

Cheers,
Brad

Ok, I'm obviously doing something wrong, can you tell me where and what exaclty are the directory's and executable's. I don't think I've done any of this right. Sorry for being a PITA but I am quite useless when it come to computers.

No problem,
  If you do a normal download and install of BeerSmith it will be installed in C:\Program Files\BeerSmith by default.

If you want to use the patch (which is only the executable), you can drop it into that directory to overwrite the existing copy of beersmith.exe

That's about it...

Brad

Ok, so what I've done is re-installed Beersmith and it is in the default path, extracted the files from the patch and coppied it to the same path (C:\Program Files\BeerSmith), thus overwriting the original, I am getting the same error that I started with when trying to use the programe, please tell me I've done it right this time and It's not me

HB,
  If you copied the patched executable over the existing one (note you might need to be an administrator under Vista to make this stick) it should have fixed your problem.

Other than that, you can try a clean install (make a backup copy of all your BSM files, then delete the BeerSmith directory and do it all again.  Its possible you have a bad options file (see threads above) that is still corrupt that might be creating the problem.

Also, if that does not work could you email me your recipes.bsm, newopts14.opts and options.bsm file?  I would like to take a look as likely one of those is causing the problem.

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad, I have just deleted Beersmith off my computer again then re-installed again, and now seems to be working fine, I didn't even need to use the patch. Seems wierd to me that that didn't work the first 2 times but has now, anyway at least we got it going again, cheers for all the help and being patient with some one who has no idea about computers.

HB,
  No problems - it is likely one of the files was corrupted before you applied the patch.  You might still want to use the patch to prevent corruption.  I will likely post the patch soon as the next official release.

Thanks,
Brad

Back