• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can the Mash strike temp be pre-set to ...........

beercheer4me

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Can BeerSmith do this ?
I want by Strike water Temps in my mash tun be pre-set to a defult
say 4,,,over my mash setting
Using a pre-heat mash tun , so my temp on mashing dont go over ,
or is their a preheat button I can select.
Or whats the best way to handle this
TIA jh

I've been using BS for years, but now finally getting around to posing the question. I brew on a converted 15-gal SS keg system (3 kegs, 1 each for BK, MT, and HLT). I know from dozens of brews on this system that I need a strike temp approx. 7-8 deg F above my target temp. The s/w always estimates a strike temp approx 11 deg F above the target. I'd like to be able to change this to an accurate strike for my system.  I've tried zeroing out MT Specific Heat, MT weight, switching between Temp Mash and Infusion Mash, all to no avail. Help!

This is the same problem I am having also
I always run to hot so I had to adjust My TEMP 4 to 5 drgrees higher than target for mashing
I think it is due to the ADDED materail under the keggle that holds the heat in at the bottom of the rim  area ...

My guess would be to 'adjust' the specific heat number for your unique stainless, rather than zero it out. 

If it is performing better (hotter) then migrate it towards the number for plastic? 

One question would be whether your water volumes are very precise?  Using more water than you've told BSmith you're using would have a big impact. 

If you pre-heat the MLT with the water (as do I), then you want to UN-check the box that says "Adjust for equipment." 

Hi,
  I don't have a way to set it to "four degrees over mash temp" unfortunately.  However if you play with your specific heat number in the equipment profile you should be able to match that number with only a little variation from batch to batch.

If you pre-heat the MLT with the water (as do I), then you want to UN-check the box that says "Adjust for equipment." 
Thanks guys I think that might be the problem

Back