• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Canada Malt Superior Oat Malt

mr.hopman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Firtst time posting here and a new registered member. My apologies in advance if I posted it in a wrong topic.

I tried looking for Canada Malting Company in Beersmith for the fermentables addOn and can't find one. Anybody can share some details in it for me to add it manually as a fermentable? Tried looking the specification but some details I can't find like:

Potential SG:
Yield:
Coarse Fine Difference:
Diastic Power:

Here's the data from their online spec file:
Moisture %: 4.3
Protein Total %: 11
Color ?L: 2.3 - 2.9
Extract FG Dry: 60 - 64
Turbidity: 65 - 80
Beta-Glucan: 125 - 160

Appreciate your help and input in advance. Thank you!

Cheers,
Mr.Hopman

You have close to the right information and can pretty much get the rest in by default.

If you open your 'fermentables' profiles by clicking on 'ingredients' > 'fermentables', you will see a list of the various grains, extracts, sugars, and fruits which are available to you.  Start by clicking on 'Add Fermentable' icon on the ribbon toolbar.  This will pop up a blank form for a grain (or other) profile.  Start by filling in the top part with the name and, optionally, the source for the oat malt.  Now, fill in the areas that you can directly from the data sheet: % moisture, % protein, and color (use either the max value or average, your choice).

For potential, you can use the max value for extract FG (fine ground) Dry.  This will automatically fill in the potential value for you.

As for the rest, the diastatic power is useful, but not used by the program.  Turbidity and Beta glucan values are also not used.  This will give you a starting point at the very least. 

My recommendation is to send an e-mail to Canadian Malting requesting the information which is missing.  Some malt suppliers also have COAs (Certificate of Analysis) for the lots of malts they produce and this may give you further information to fill in the missing pieces. 

Not knowing what type of cultivar the oat malt is made from, it still seems as though the FG extract is a bit on the low side.  I would expect it to be in the 70's at the very least considering oats do not have a husk.

Anyway, this will get you going and you can always make an adjustment to the specs if you get new information or if you find that the numbers are way off when you use the oat malt directly.

Back