• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Canning wort for starters!

dtapke

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So a long long time ago in a land far far away, I came up with the idea of canning wort for starters. Simple mash bill, brief boil, add nutrients, and shot for 1.040....

Then i got the bright idea of canning my starters at 1.080, then i can use a 1qt jar, mix with 1qt water, and boom! 2L starter... Well with all the break etc in the starters after pressure canning it usually takes 1.5 jars to mix with 1qt of water to make a starter.. So my most recent experiment was to make my canned starter to 1.110...

Haven't used any yet, but looking forward to giving it a shot next weekend. Anyone else here do anything like this? Got any thoughts, tips, tricks you've learned over the years?

Nowadays i see theres companies making this product commercially "Propper" i think was one brand i saw, but that crap is expensive!

I have canned wort for starters, both with DME and all-grain, but I have stuck with 1.040 or so. The pressure canning was a pain because my pressure cooker only holds 3 jars at a time, but it was nice that it didn't need refrigeration and could be used directly from the jar. These days I skip the pressure canning and put boiled wort into jars and stick them in the fridge until I use them (usually only a week or two). Then I let them warm up to room temp before use. I considered making extra-strength wort, which would save on the prep time for the canning but then I would have to combine with boiled and cooled water, which adds prep time. I decided to stick with 1.040.

--GF

I have canned wort for starters, both with DME and all-grain, but I have stuck with 1.040 or so. The pressure canning was a pain because my pressure cooker only holds 3 jars at a time, but it was nice that it didn't need refrigeration and could be used directly from the jar. These days I skip the pressure canning and put boiled wort into jars and stick them in the fridge until I use them (usually only a week or two). Then I let them warm up to room temp before use. I considered making extra-strength wort, which would save on the prep time for the canning but then I would have to combine with boiled and cooled water, which adds prep time. I decided to stick with 1.040.

--GF

I have a nearly limitless supply of "perfect" water thanks to investing thousands of dollars into filtration... I figure if a contam can make it through RO, DI, and UV filtration, it belongs in my beer :p

I pressure can with 2 canners at a time, 7qts each canner, and usually do 10 gallons in a batch. It takes a full day, but lasts me quite a while.

Back