• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cannot veiw ingredients in recipe

aglaser219

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just recently, my PC went to a BSOD while I had BeerSmith open.  When I restarted my computer and reopened BeerSmith, I was no longer able to see the ingredients in my recipes.  If I try to add an ingredient, it gets added, but is not viewable in the recipe editing window.  After opening a recipe and closing it by hitting "OK", all of the ingredients get mixed around when viewing them in the preview window.  I am running BeerSmith on a Windows 7 platform.  Please let me know what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks, 
Adam

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a corrupt "newopts14.opts" file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista/Win 7.

Note that on many systems this is a hidden/system directory which will not show up unless you go into the options for Windows file explorer and set it to show hidden/system files.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business.

Let me know if you have continued problems!  So far we've had no one lose any data and I've been able to get everyone back up and running quickly.
--

Cheers!

Brad Smith

I deleted the file, it didn't work.  I wasn't able to find the compatibility file you mentioned.  Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Adam

Adam,
  Most likely it is in the second directory (the virtual store) which is a "hidden" directory.  You need to go into the options for your windows file explorer and set it so you can see the hidden directories to find this one.

Brad

I'm having the same problem, followed the instructions you listed but still can't view the ingredients. What should I try next? I enabled the "show hidden files" under appearances in the control panel and am running windows 7.

I'm having the same problem. I can add ingredients and see the OG or the IBU or SRM change, just can't see the ingredients. Tried going through the steps discussed above but they didn't solve the problem.

Back