• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't access recipe directory - blocked ?

BeerWings

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When I clicked on the receipt files, i got an error msg below. However, I can see the files are in the folder. I've tried add BeerSmith folder and file type as new exclusions in Windows Antivirus and Security. Could you help?

1688493985671.png

Given that the path is in your Documents directory, the most likely cause is that you accidentally moved or renamed your Documents/BeerSmith3 directory. This can happen for a variety of reasons including OneDrive moving your files, an antivirus or cleanup program removing/moving your files or simply removing it yourself.

Keep in mind the message above indicates that the Documents/BeerSmith3 directory was your main data directory so when that directory was moved/removed it meant your recipes also went with it.

I would recommend searching for *.bsmx on your hard drive to see if possibly you moved the directory somewhere else by accident or perhaps one of the above programs archived it.

Brad

Given that the path is in your Documents directory, the most likely cause is that you accidentally moved or renamed your Documents/BeerSmith3 directory. This can happen for a variety of reasons including OneDrive moving your files, an antivirus or cleanup program removing/moving your files or simply removing it yourself.

Keep in mind the message above indicates that the Documents/BeerSmith3 directory was your main data directory so when that directory was moved/removed it meant your recipes also went with it.

I would recommend searching for *.bsmx on your hard drive to see if possibly you moved the directory somewhere else by accident or perhaps one of the above programs archived it.

Brad
thank you for the reply. I can actually see the files being in the directory. However, When I clicked on them, BeerSmith gave me the error messages above. I also tried searching .bsmx files and search results shows all the files are in that directory.

Is it possible to schedule a call with tech support to fix this?

I would check permissions on the directory - it is possible that BeerSmith does not have permissions to open that directory.

I would check permissions on the directory - it is possible that BeerSmith does not have permissions to open that directory.
Thank you! It used to work perfectly fine until last week. Let us know what you find. Feel free to DM if setting up a call is easier. Thanks again!

Did you check the permissions on the directories as mentioned above?

Did you check the permissions on the directories as mentioned above?
Hi, there. Thank you for the quick follow up. just did. I attached the photos below. We didn’t change any settings as it has always been working fine for us. Let me know if we need any modifications to how it’s set up.

Attachments

• 3591E9A4-D071-47CD-A936-2FD848B7C1C9.jpeg
    3591E9A4-D071-47CD-A936-2FD848B7C1C9.jpeg
    834.3 KB · Views: 3
  • D07B25BF-9FAE-4DF9-9689-16333CBF367B.jpeg
    D07B25BF-9FAE-4DF9-9689-16333CBF367B.jpeg
    776.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2440048D-6ED7-4221-B1AE-AD7BD7E15D46.jpeg
    2440048D-6ED7-4221-B1AE-AD7BD7E15D46.jpeg
    607.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
My best advice at this point would probably to reset everything to get you back up and running and
then import the old data from the BSMX files:

For Version 3 to do a complete data reset:
- Close BeerSmith first
- Go to Documents and rename the BeerSmith3 directory to something like BeerSmithOLD
- Go to %APPDATA% (on Windows by typing into file manager toolbar) or on the Mac use the File Manager's Go->Library command to view that directory
- If you are in the correct AppData or "Library/Application Support" (mac) directory there should be another BeerSmith3 directory here which stores data
- Rename that BeerSmith3 directory to something like BeerSmithOLD (it has all of your backups)
- Finally restart BeerSmith and it should have a "default" install with default data
- Now if you wish you can go back and open the older BSMX files from the two directories mentioned above to import old
data - typically you do this with File->Open in BeerSmith and then copy/paste the data items from the open file to your Reicpe or other views
- If you were using BeerSmith 3.2 the latest data is in the %APPDATA%/BeerSmithOLD directory you renamed. For BeerSmith 3.0
it would be in the Documents/BeerSmithOLD directory
- Recipes are in the Recipe.bsmx file and other data in appropriately named other files such as Equipment.bsmx
- There are more details on working with BeerSmith BSMX files in the article below:
https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/01/27/sharing-beer-brewing-data-using-bsmx-files-in-beersmith/

Brad

Hi,
My best advice at this point would probably to reset everything to get you back up and running and
then import the old data from the BSMX files:

For Version 3 to do a complete data reset:
- Close BeerSmith first
- Go to Documents and rename the BeerSmith3 directory to something like BeerSmithOLD
- Go to %APPDATA% (on Windows by typing into file manager toolbar) or on the Mac use the File Manager's Go->Library command to view that directory
- If you are in the correct AppData or "Library/Application Support" (mac) directory there should be another BeerSmith3 directory here which stores data
- Rename that BeerSmith3 directory to something like BeerSmithOLD (it has all of your backups)
- Finally restart BeerSmith and it should have a "default" install with default data
- Now if you wish you can go back and open the older BSMX files from the two directories mentioned above to import old
data - typically you do this with File->Open in BeerSmith and then copy/paste the data items from the open file to your Reicpe or other views
- If you were using BeerSmith 3.2 the latest data is in the %APPDATA%/BeerSmithOLD directory you renamed. For BeerSmith 3.0
it would be in the Documents/BeerSmithOLD directory
- Recipes are in the Recipe.bsmx file and other data in appropriately named other files such as Equipment.bsmx
- There are more details on working with BeerSmith BSMX files in the article below:
https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/01/27/sharing-beer-brewing-data-using-bsmx-files-in-beersmith/

Brad
Thank you, Brad. Let us try that and let you know. Have a good weekend!

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the instructions. Sorry just had time to get back on this. I followed the steps and made it to the “restart BeerSmith” and got the attached window message. It seems like I got switched to a trial mode?

Thanks,

9CCD46BD-248F-49FC-89E2-85D247A1896F.jpeg

Yes that is normal - since you did a full data reset you will need to activate your copy first. Go ahead and activate it using your BeerSmithRecipes.com account.

If you need to free up a slot (i.e. it shows no activation slots available) you can go here and deactivate any old devices:
https://beersmithrecipes.com/licenses

Back