• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chlorine boil off?

PhotogScott

Brewer
Reaction score
The latest Brad Smith newsletter states that chlorine can be boiled off.
But I've been told that municipalities  now chlorinate with chlorimine and that this will NOT boil off

I believe that is true - read it several times anyway.  Campden tabs remove both. 

Boiling to remove chlorine can also cause other minerals to precipitate and drop out, which negatively affects yeast performance. 

I dont pre boil. Saves on propane

Funny thing. Listened to an interview on the Brewing Network with a brewmaster from Pizza Port. John Palmer asks, "how do you treat your water?" brewer says "nothing" Palmer then asks "but you use a carbon block right? Brewer says "nah, just out of the tap" Cracked me up! To all you engineering nerd brewers, it aint so complex! :p

I'm not sure what is used in the town I live in, but boiling off never works. I installed a Culligan water filter setup under my sink and use heavy duty filters. The stinky water problem is gone and the beer is better.

Maine Homebrewer said:
It's nice having a well.

Yes!  We have "hard" water, calcium deposits but very little rust.  I am just in the learning phase on how water effects brewing taste, but so far it's been good.
  I have the water test kit to send in but have not done so yet.  I do run it through a whole house 5 micron filter but thats it.  I use PH5.2 water treatment in my brews as the tests I have done on PH levels the water runs at 4.6 PH.  I do intend to add a Reverse Osmosis & filter system under the kitchen sink for better/ safer drinking water.  There is a small dairy farm across the road and we have a dozen or so chickens so I would feel better knowing any bacteria would be out of unboiled drinking water.

Mr. Wizard described this nicely.  http://byo.com/stories/wizard/article/section/121-mr-wizard/475-clearing-chloramine-a-historical-hopping-mr-wizard

I use 1 campden tablet smashed up and added to my strike water and sparge water.

I was also told by a water expert that the cloromines would not boil off and he instructed me to use a simple carbon block filter so i installed a typical under the sink type, i live in the greater Detroit area so ive been told our water is pretty good, now my question is, what  if any,  is the  effect on mineral content, are you filtering out useable minerals?

The carbon block filters that can reduce chloromine do so by freeing the chlorine compound releasing the ammonia it was bound with.  This is rather simplified of course.  These filters then trap the chlorine but don't trap ammonia which stays in the water at low concentrations.  This is kind of bad for fish so you want to be sure to properly treat their water.  It could conceivably affect your beer as well as drinking water.  Many systems have a multiple filters which will eventually neutralize the ammonia. 

Carbon block filters don't filter out trace minerals which is a good thing since yeast love trace minerals.

Camden tablets are good and easy and contain potassium which is a handy nutrient for yeast.  There were a couple freed compounds as well but these already occur in the malted barley and are good for making beer.

I said this in the other thread, too....

Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) works too.  Its a little easier to get ahold of than potassium meta-bisulfite. 

1.  Crush 1/4 tablet, add to 10 gallons, stir to disolve.
2.  Let stand for 20 minutes.
3.  Brew.

Its a weak acid, so it might drop your mash pH by a tiny fraction.  But, at 8ppm I doubt you could measure it with a handheld pH meter.

Back