• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cleaners??

pcdiver

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have read in several different brewing sites of using OXI CLEAN.  Anyone use it, and if so, how effective does it seem to be?  Encountered any problems?

I am moving away from Cornies and toward Sankey kegs whenever I can buy one($$).  I am currently developing my washing/ sanitizing system.

Thanks again Guys!

So far i have used One Step, which i would assume is close to oxy clean (supposed to sanitize with oxygen so no rinsing needed).

i have made aobut 15 batches using this and have not had any contamination issues, no off flavors or any of the like... so i can only assume that this product works, which it better cause its kinda pricey...

i really have no comparison base though as i have neve used any other cleaners... this is the one my brew store recomended... :eek:

hope this helps.

I have used OXY CLEAN with good results. I have also used idiphor, pink stuff (clorine based ) and am now using star-san. I find star-san the best 8)

OK, now please describe HOW you use it.  Do you just wipe on, wipe off?  Do you fill your carboy with a solution and let it soak?  Do you swishle it around a bit, pour it out, and rinse?

Speaking for the one-step (and possibly the oxy clean)...

it is a powder/granule that you mix with water (1 tbsp to one gallon) to make a solution.  

What I do is put the recomended amount for about 4 gallons in the bottom of my bucket, and fill with nearly hot water...  Then when i have about 4 gallons i soak all the equipment i am going to use in the liquid...  If i am also bottling another batch that day i go ahead and give my bottles a dunk in it too... (waste not want not!!!  8))

oh and as mentioned above, one-step is no rinse... just pull it out of the bucket and let it dry...  It cleans with oxygen so there is no foul tastes or odors...(its environmentally friendly too  ;))

hope this helps...

Like Saylinaway says I soak for days sometimes and for hours on other days with no rince solutions except the pink stuff which I don't use on SS due to corrosion possibilities. I only use the pink stuff for my fermenters if they are extremely dirty which is rarely. The star san is good because of no rince and the fact that it lasts so long when protected from evaporation. :)

I've gotten away from granular cleaners and went to liquids. Started to have problems with chalky residue on everything it touched. Was using One-Step. Don't know if I had a bad batch or what but got me thinking about how much of it was "floating" around in my brews.

Back