• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Conditioning beer

B

beernut

When I move my beer off the yeast cake in the primary fermenter I usually rack it into a corny keg with 25mm cut of the dip tube and leave in fridge for around a week for the beer to settle out, then transfer it to a normal keg to condition.  The beer at this stage is quite clear.  One thing that has always troubled me is,should I filter before conditioning or filter after at the time of carbonating and drinking.  Does removing the yeast prior to conditioning impact on the final outcome and give a cleaner finish.  Any thoughts on this out there.

Cheers.

Assuming that "conditioning" means you carbonate the beer naturally as opposed to force carbonation, then you most definitely do not want to filter prior to conditioning.
If you force carbonate then it doesn't much matter.

With proper aging the cloudiness will be minimal, and even if you've got a lot of yeast in the brew about the worst it will do to you is give you gas.

Unless there is a real need for a crystal clear brew, like selling it, I don't know why you would need to filter in the first place.

I really don't  know much about kegging yet, but clarity has never really been an issue with me. Most of my brews are fairly clear after adding 1/2 tsp of Irish moss @ 10 min. But even if they aren't real clear I'm gonna drink them anyway. Filtering would be for competition brews or BMC drinkers.

Yeah I am the opposite I prefer a bright clear beer with the yeast stripped out of it.  I guess it is really all about personal preference.  :)

I'm with brewwhat - I prefer cloudy beer which I believe actually tastes better.  However - most consumers coming over from the Bud and Miller generation think clear is better because it's all they have ever seen. 

It's a matter of preference.  I like white bread and my wife likes bread with sticks and stems in it. it's all good.

Back