• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Conversion from whole hops to pellet amount within recipe

HPPKMPR

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to convert the amount of whole leaf hops to pellet form within a recipe?

When you select the hops (or edit hops already entered) there is a drop down menu to select leaf, pellet, etc.

I know but it isn't converting the amount needed to achieve same IBU's. Is there a way to convert the amount needed between the various hop forms?

Go to Options and select Bitterness. You should see all of the bitterness adjustments there. Leaf hops should be 0% and pellets should be 10%. The conversion is done automatically as long as you have the hop entry in ingredients set properly.

So checked options and are set as mentioned below. But within any recipe when I change from leaf (or pellet), the IBU value changes but am not getting a quantity correction. The amount field stays original recipe value. I'm looking for the amount difference to correct. I'm thinking this is not possible. Thanks for the help.

After switching from whole to pellets (vice versa),
use the ibu tool to bring them back in-line.

Finding it easier to change the quantity field and seeing the IBU difference. Cheers.

HPPKMPR said:
So checked options and are set as mentioned below. But within any recipe when I change from leaf (or pellet), the IBU value changes but am not getting a quantity correction. The amount field stays original recipe value. I'm looking for the amount difference to correct. I'm thinking this is not possible. Thanks for the help.

What's the problem with manually changing the hop quantity. Beersmith wasn't designed to work on assumptions. The program makes the IBU adjustment and leaves it up to you to deal with the quantity.

Leaf and pellet hops of equal quantity will offer different IBU's. So it is only natural that when you change from one to the other you will see a difference in IBU levels but the quantity will stay the same. The software is working as it should.

If you are using a recipe that calls for pellet and lists 20 IBU's for example... and you are using leaf hops you will have to add a larger amount to reach the same IBU level.

There is also a documented difference in the utilization of the alpha acids from the whole cone (leaf) versus pellets.  Utilization from pellets is higher by about 10% according to some literature from a number of years ago.  I have not seen anything contradictory or confirming this recently. 

Back