• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cooling Shinkrage

pedrovic

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
How can I measure the correct cooling shinkrage percentage? Sometimes I think the volume post-boil in my recipes decrease more than 4%. Maybe I have calculate wrong...
Thanks

It should be 4% as water is quite consistent. I would measure the volumes at each stage and make sure it matches up after measuring.

Boiloff is contributing to the shrinkage and varies, depending primarily on surface area and boil vigor, with atmospheric conditions playing minor roles. Thermal expansion/contraction is a law of physics and will remain constant for a specific liquid. Your variation is almost all due to boiloff variation.

Hi,
How can I measure the correct cooling shinkrage percentage? Sometimes I think the volume post-boil in my recipes decrease more than 4%. Maybe I have calculate wrong...
Thanks

I am not sure if it is critical that your Cooling Shrinkage and your Trub Loss values are both exact, but more important that they add up to the amount of volume "loss" between the end of the boil and the amount of cooled wort you transfer into your fermenter. For me to get 5.5 gals into my fermenter, I find that I need to end the boil with 6.0 gals of hot wort. I have then adjusted my Trub Loss to 0.27 gals, which adds up to 0.5 gals when combined with the 4% Cooling Shrinkage. But if you want to tweak your shrinkage to 5% or 6%, give it a try.

Note that I sometimes have to tweak my Trub Loss value for hoppy beers. It would be awesome if BeerSmith added in a calculation to add in the amount of wort lost to hop absorption.

Back