• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

creamy flavor

W

wwbrew

I'm looking to brew another blueberry ale and I want it to be creamier than the last one. I used flaked corn last time and wanted to increase the amount but my local supply store doesn't carry it. Can I use flaked rice instead for that creamy feeling on the tongue?

wwbrew,

We haven't tried it but we have read about using corn grits from the grocery store. We believe you will have to do a cerial mash to gelatinize the grits before adding them to the normal mash. Check out John Palmer's How to Brew online and Basic Brewing video on using grits.

Maybe others have first hand experience.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

Preston

wwbrews,
Do you mean Fuller, Thicker or better mouth feel? If so, raise the mash temp a little. Lower is thinner with more alcohol and higher is better head and better mouth feel? Example if your receipt says 153 degrees raise it to 156 degrees?

What I'm looking for is that Creme Ale feeling in the mouth. I'm just disappointed in my local store to not carry the flaked corn...

Back