• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Critique my Rogue Double Dead Guy Clone Recipe

ultravista

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am working on a Rogue Double Dead Guy clone.  Everything (to this novice) looks good but the color. Rogue lists the D.D.G.A at 25 Lovibond; this recipe however is 9.5 SRM.

2-row is typically 2 SRM and Crystal 15 is 15 SRM, and that leaves the Munich at 9 SRM.

Not sure where to get coloring right unless using Weyermann Caramunich II or III to bring the SRM up.

With that being said, would the shift from 3.3 .lbs Munich to 3.3 .lbs CaraMunich impact the flavor signifigantly or impart other desirable / undesirable elements?

Regarding hops. Per Rogue, the IBU is 60; however, I don't know how this is measured, Rager or Tinseth.

The same recipe with 3.6 oz of hops calculated in Rager requires 4.5 oz calculated in Tinseth. That 4.5 oz in Tinseth changed back to Rager results in 85.5 IBU.

I am confused as to which calculation I should use. The bottom line is that I need 60 IBU.

Please critique the recipe and offer suggestions and amendments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe: Double Dead Guy Test 4
Style: Mailbock/Helles Bock

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimaged FG: 1.018
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.55 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3.30 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
1.65 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.85 oz Pearle [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 53.0 IBU
1.75 oz Sterling [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Pacman (Wyeast Labs #1764) [Starter 1000 mYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20.63 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
** SCALE RAGER FOR ACCURATE IBU AROUND 60 **
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ultravista said:
Not sure where to get coloring right unless using Weyermann Caramunich II or III to bring the SRM up.
With that being said, would the shift from 3.3 .lbs Munich to 3.3 .lbs CaraMunich impact the flavor signifigantly or impart other desirable / undesirable elements?

Regarding hops. Per Rogue, the IBU is 60; however, I don't know how this is measured, Rager or Tinseth.
The same recipe with 3.6 oz of hops calculated in Rager requires 4.5 oz calculated in Tinseth. That 4.5 oz in Tinseth changed back to Rager results in 85.5 IBU.

Please critique the recipe and offer suggestions and amendments.

Munich is a base grain contributing some of the OG.  CaraMunich is color and flavor with much less PPG contribution.  A 1:1 swap would change beer a lot.

Currently, your only crystal is 15L.  Mix up the crystals and use some 60L and 80L or CaraMunich in smaller quantities to reach 25 SRM target. 

That is the joy of BeerSmith..........easy tinkering to hit the targets. 

I would assume Rogue uses Rager, as long as they've been around. 

Will a darker Crystal impart different flavors? Say Crystal 120 vs. 15 or is it more about the color?

When in the grain list, hover your pointer over the grain and a pop-up tip will show some useful description.  Then you can compare 20L vs 120L, etc.

Suggestions on the grist bill or hops?

Should I mash a little higher to get a maltier / sweeter profile?

Back