• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Custom Brew Steps report

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey Brad, what is the "correct" way to modify the Brew Steps report?  I love it mostly, but want to make some tweaks for my use.  I know I could hack into the files, but I'd rather not and I'd rather not lose my mods when a new version gets installed.

Thanks.

I'd like to do this as well. I can see a few of my failed attemps listed in the options.

What if you change the filename of an existing report and edit and add that?

Copy the "newbrewsheet.htm" file to "my documents\beersmith2\reports".  Copy the "style.css" to the same directory. 

Edit the copied files to your hearts content.  A new installation will have no impact on your existing report or style sheet.

Notepad isn't very good to look at that file (no lines). is there a better way to edit newbrewsheet in windows?

Also Is there a list of tags somewheres that can be used in the report?

Um sure....any HTML editor will do.  Notepad++ is free and has a HTML syntax highlighter.  I'm a long time software engineer, so I'm pretty comfortable looking at HTML in "code" mode. 

I have an old copy of Microsoft Frontpage that I use for WYSIWYG type things.  I'm sure there are others, but I only use what I have. 

PS: if you aren't terribly familiar with HTML or CSS, I highly recommend w3schools.com.

thanks I have a 21 day trial on some app called coffeecup.

Do you know if there exists a list of tags that can be used in reports?
Not sure if this is the same request made here or not:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,8668.msg35244.html#msg35244

actually this could be it?
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6200.0;attach=5541

Actually it looks like BrewProcess.txt isn't even using html? I want something simple like that to conserve printer ink.

Yes, I made the list of tags based on the BS2.1 source code.  That post is here (the thread is stickied in the BS 2 - Questions forum).

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6200.msg24991.html#msg24991

I don't know if there have been any changes in BS2.2.  Maybe I'll ask brad to send me the updated file and I'll extract the tags again. 

Ah....if you are trying to use the TEXT file, you are correct.  It is NOT HTML it is simply plain ascii text.  You can place the tags in the TEXT file preceeded by a $. 

Thanks, this should simplify things :)

It's pretty annoying to look the small font used on brewprocess on a printed sheet and the only thing that stands out are dumb comments like:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Would it be possible to enlarge the font on a .txt brew sheet, or better using the .htm?

Those are my dumb comments, specific to my process on brew day.  It's meant to be an example of a TEXT report that anyone can copy/modify into a custom report of their own to fit their process. 

I found the pre-formatted HTML reports to run onto two pages, and to have lots of stuff I don't use, like Assistant Brewer, so I made that report with just what info I look for.  It's also from v1.4, and I do see some fields that no longer work in v2.2. 

Thanks all for the replies, but I'm waiting for Brad to give me the "official" way to modify it.

MaltLicker said:
Those are my dumb comments, specific to my process on brew day.  It's meant to be an example of a TEXT report that anyone can copy/modify into a custom report of their own to fit their process. 

I found the pre-formatted HTML reports to run onto two pages, and to have lots of stuff I don't use, like Assistant Brewer, so I made that report with just what info I look for.  It's also from v1.4, and I do see some fields that no longer work in v2.2.

Does it print with a small font for you?

My computer calls that font Lucida Console 10 pt in Notepad.  You can make it bigger there in Notepad if you like.

Here it is attached as a .txt file, along with the Custom version I use today.  If someone wants to tinker, save the Custom file to

C:\................\Documents\BeerSmith2\Reports

and then modify to suit your needs.  Then use the Options | Reports | Add Report dialog to find and add that modified file. 

The Yeast item no longer prints, for one. 

Attachments

• 16B Belgian Pale Ale.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 437
  • Custom.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 474
Hi all,

We made a custom Brew Steps Report to be used as Brewing sheet in our Brewery. It allows to note measures as pH, Gravity and Volumes all along the brewing process.

We also change the style.css sheet for better printing of the sheet.

I'm sorry I translated all in French but I think it can be usefull for anybody. If needed I can translate it.

Cheers,

Andy

Attachments

• Fiche_brassage_zytho.htm
    3.6 KB · Views: 273
  • style.css
    19.3 KB · Views: 270
Back