• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dates and Date Syrup

ThePour

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to use some date syrup in a small batch strong stout that I want to brew tomorrow. Beersmith doesn't have this as a fermentable, what's the easiest way to add it to my recipe?

The info on the label is limtied but it says:
Conc. 76%
78% soluble Solids
Glucose 37%
Fructose 35%
Protein 2.31%
vitamins and minerals (traces)

Additionally, i would like to add some actual dates too. What's the best way to add these?

Thanks in advance, Dan

You can add the syrup to the fermentables library.  Open it up and click on 'add fermentable'.  The important things to make sure are reflected in the profile are the moisture content and the yield/potential.  Your date syrup contains 72% sugars (glucose + fructose) so I would enter that as the yield. Since the concentration of 76%, your moisture content can be entered as 24%.  This should bring you close enough to successfully formulate and brew.

For fruit additions, I often refer to the following page to get information to add it to the library:  http://kotmf.com/articles/fruitsugar.php.

Hi all,

I would like to use some date syrup in a small batch strong stout that I want to brew tomorrow. Beersmith doesn't have this as a fermentable, what's the easiest way to add it to my recipe?

The info on the label is limtied but it says:
Conc. 76%
78% soluble Solids
Glucose 37%
Fructose 35%
Protein 2.31%
vitamins and minerals (traces)

Additionally, i would like to add some actual dates too. What's the best way to add these?
epoxy flooring minneapolis
Thanks in advance, Dan
To incorporate date syrup and actual dates into your stout recipe, here are some suggestions:

1. Date Syrup: Since BeerSmith doesn't have date syrup listed as a fermentable, you can add it directly to your recipe as an adjunct. Here's a general approach:
  • Determine the desired amount of date syrup based on your taste preference. Start with a conservative amount and adjust in subsequent batches if needed.
  • Calculate the potential gravity contribution of the date syrup using its soluble solids percentage (78%). You can estimate the gravity points by multiplying the percentage by 46 (the potential gravity of sucrose) and then multiplying by the volume of date syrup you plan to use.
  • Add the date syrup to your brew during the boil or flameout stage. Stir it in gently to ensure it is evenly distributed throughout the wort.
  1. Dates: To add actual dates to your stout, you have a few options:
  • Chopped Dates: Remove the pits and finely chop the dates. Add them directly to the boil during the last 10 minutes or at flameout. This will impart some flavor and sweetness to the beer.
  • Date Puree: Blend the dates with a small amount of water to create a puree. Add the puree during the boil or fermentation, either in a muslin bag or directly to the fermenter. The puree will provide more flavor and body to the beer.
  • Date Extract: If you prefer a concentrated flavor, you can make a date extract by soaking chopped dates in a small amount of vodka or another neutral spirit for a few days. Add the extract to taste during bottling or kegging.
Remember to account for the potential gravity contribution of the dates in your recipe calculations. You can estimate the gravity points by referring to similar fruits with known potential gravities.

As with any recipe modification, it's recommended to start with smaller quantities and adjust based on your taste preferences. Take notes during the brewing process so you can fine-tune the recipe in future batches.

Enjoy brewing your date-infused stout!

Correction on the addition of date syrup to your fermentables library. Date syrup has a solids percentage of 78%, but only 61% of the syrup is sugars. You want to use the sugars content times the max potential for sugar (1.046) to get the potential for the date syrup to enter into the program.

Back