• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Desire to have Save button on recipe (but not close)

bsdx

Apprentice
Reaction score
Since you can have multiple recipes open in Beersmith 2.0 now, I think it would be nice to have a Save button that is separate from the Save As and Ok or Cancel buttons so you can be working on a recipe and commit changes to permanent storage without closing and opening the recipe as you would have to with the OK button.  This urge was not as strong in 1.4 because you could generally only be doing one thing at a time, but now that you can have a handful of recipes open, I think a Save button would be nice.

Thanks,
  The program will save those tabs by default when you close them, but I guess I could have a separate button if you think its needed.

Brad

Hi.
I agree on beeing ble to save your recipe while working on it. On two occations I have lost all my added notes in recipe (did not close). Probably because I have been working in other tabs. I woud prefer to use  Ctrl+s to save my work "on the fly".

ps
I have been using Promash until now. Have tried other software as well, but now I'm going for BeerSmith - It looks great so far :)

Brad,
At the very least a "Save" button is needed on the recipe.

I am still getting used to the software (I don't brew and play around with recipes as much as I'd like ...)
but I  lose recipe changes with some degree of frequency as I navigate around the program.
I am surprised that ingredients aren't saved to my recipe as I work and  I'd gently suggest that this is a bug  :D

If this can't be fixed so that the recipe is saved each time an ingredient or other change is added or modified
then I think that an Autosave solution is the only answer. As I envision it, users could set the autosave time in
minutes in Tools --> Options.  (setting to "0" minutes would disable the autosave.)

Thanks!

I'm going to add my name to the list for wanting a Save button without having to close the recipe.

I brewed over the weekend and kept the recipe open so I could enter notes on what my mash temps were, what my pre-boil volume was, what my final runnings gravity was, etc. I wanted to save the recipe after each time I entered notes so I wouldn't lose anything in case my computer crashed or locked up. The only way for me to do this was to click OK which saved AND closed the recipe. Then I had to reopen it.

I've worked on computers for too many years and been burned enough in the past so that making frequent saves in any program is now habit for me. I don't necessarily want BeerSmith to do an autosave every time I enter new information because sometimes I'm dinking around with numbers just to see the results and then I want to close without saving. But it would be very handy to be able to save what I'm working on in the middle without having to close and reopen the recipe just to continue working. This ability is pretty much standard in almost all programs.

Just my input on the matter.

Scott

Thanks,
  I've added this to my "to do" list.

Brad

Since the newest build is out and this feature is still lacking, I'm going to bump this thread up again.

Brad, I don't know what you use to code BeerSmith (VB, Visual C++, whatever), but imagine if every time you wanted to save your code, you also had to close the project. You're not done working on the project, you don't want to close it, you just want to save the code you've written so you don't lose your changes, then you want to continue working on it. You'd get pretty annoyed if every time you saved your code, it also closed the project on you and then you had to go reopen it.

Saving without closing is a standard feature of almost every good computer program that allows saves.

Please implement this in BeerSmith.

Scott

Bump on this.  I'm still getting the issue where my edits in the Notes field go missing even after upgrading to the .50 release.  I can't seem to replicate the issue, but I'm very sure it happens....  A simple Save button or Ctrl+S support would go a long way in my world at least until the auto-save bug is figured out.

Just to clarify...

- Do you want a Save button in an open recipe to save the recipe off without closing that recipe? (which is what I understand)
- Would you also like a "Save" button to save everything back to the disk (which is currently done when the program closes or autosaves after 5 minutes or so)?

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Just to clarify...

- Do you want a Save button in an open recipe to save the recipe off without closing that recipe? (which is what I understand)
- Would you also like a "Save" button to save everything back to the disk (which is currently done when the program closes or autosaves after 5 minutes or so)?

Brad

The first one. A Save button (or menu item, or even Ctrl+S like other programs) that will let me save an open recipe without closing it.

The current save to disk when the program closes is fine as-is (in my opinion). I don't really want an autosave because if I'm playing around with a recipe and then want discard all changes, I want to be able to close it without saving and have it revert to it's last saved state.

The save on close assumes that everything on the computer is going to be happy till the program closes.  Having had a freeze or two and a crash here and there I lost a bunch of stuff I was entering.  I want to save when I have changed things I want to keep.  Right now that requires closing the tab and then reopening.

BTW one of those crashes may have been BS related but the rest of the problems were not BS's fault, but I still lost work in BS because of not having saved.

I would go so far as to say that the close tab and save ought to completely different and separate functions.  I don't know of any other application that has a "save" button that closed the window your working in.

Just wanted to say THANKS!

I downloaded the latest update last night. I haven't had much chance to play with it, but I'm thrilled to have an option that allows me to save a recipe without having to close it.

Thank you!
Scott

Back