• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does changing you mash tun specific heat only affect mash in temp?

Hibs06

Brewer
Reaction score
BeerSmith tells me to mash in at 109 degree to get to my target of 104 once grains have been added.  When I do this my mash only drops to 107 degrees so I'm 3 degrees off.  Question is, changing my mash tun specific heat will only affect my mash in correct?  It should have nothing to do with step temperature increases right?

I would adjust either the specific heat or the mash tun weight. Not sure what TOMHAPMTON means by "it will adjust everything"....

Assuming your grain temp, mash tun temp were set in the recipe.

Sorry. My main computer hard drive died. So, I'm using smartphone.... Not conducive to long essay answers.

If you change the specific heat setting for your mlt it will cause all of Beersmiths thermal calculations to be adjusted accordingly.  So, if you are trying to fix only one temp, eg strike temp, adjusting mlt specific heat is not the right thing to adjust. That is assuming that you do multi step masses and the other steps are dead on.

Yep. That would work, or equipment temp, if the 'adjust for.....' is checked.

I think that changing mash tun specific heat only affect mash in temp, but I can make mistake and thankful for all opinions here. It's interesting to read all of them!

BeerSmith tells me to mash in at 109 degree to get to my target of 104 once grains have been added. When I do this my mash only drops to 107 degrees so I'm 3 degrees off. Question is, changing my mash tun specific heat will only affect my mash in correct? It should have nothing to do with step temperature increases right?
BeerSmith, like most brewing software, relies heavily on your inputs in order to make accurate predictions. While mash tun specific heat is part of the equation that predicts the relationship between strike water temperature and where your mash temperature settles in, other inputs are required to get an accurate prediction. Among these inputs are the actual weight of the mash tun, its temperature and the grain temperature. You also need to enter accurate volumes and temperatures. Be sure your thermometer is accurate and don't rely on any volume measuring vessels unless you've verified their accuracy.

Without more information, there's no way to pinpoint what's actually causing your problem. If you highlight the recipe and then choose "File/export selected", save the recipe and then attach it to a post all of the needed information will be available to those who want to offer help.

A small point but one that will make a difference in your strike temp is that you also need to measure the temperature of the grain before mashing in.

Back