• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Doubt sparge

Thanatos

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I changed my all-grain system from gas to electric.
I bought a Brewferm kettle and I built myself a kettle for sparge (with a maximum capacity of 5 litres).
Since I am limited with the size of the sparge kettle, if I need to make more than 5 liters of sparge can I add the (cold) water to reach the volume of 23 liters directly into the wort? So if I needed 10 liters to get to pre-boil volume, I would make 5 liters of fly-sparge plus 5 liters of cold water which I would pour directly into the wort. Would I compromise something or should I be fine?
Thank you.

You will be fine! There are a few econimic reasons to use hot sparge water on a commercial basis, but for homebrewing it is far less critical. Using cool water to sparge with will lengthen the time needed to heat the wort up to a boil by a little, but this is just trading in a bit of time to make the process work for you and get your desired ending volume.

Back