• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dropbox sync for BeerSmith Mobile

Beezer

Apprentice
Reaction score
For the Desktop application I save all my data to Dropbox. This allows me to have Beersmith on multiple computers and my data there is synced.  My biggest complaint about Beersmith Mobile is that I cannot link to the same data source for recipes, session data, inventories, profiles, etc...

I feel like other mobile apps like Brewfather and Brewer's Friend are probably better mobile apps overall, but I dislike the fact that there is no local storage of information and you have to subscribe to use them.  I don't get a phone signal inside my lhbs which makes those other apps useless when trying to shop for recipe ingredients or replenishing my inventory.  If BeerSmith Mobile could sync with Dropbox, or other cloud based file storage services, I could keep an up to date inventory/recipe folder on my mobile device.

Sounds great, Beezer! I'd like to have multiple computers sync'd, too, but I don't know how to set it all up. What data go in the dropbox folder? Do I have to manually download it to the second computer to sync, or is there a way to get the second computer to look to the dropbox folder for data by default? Would onedrive or googledrive also work?

I would very grateful if you could give a brief walk-through or even a few tips/shortcuts. Thank you for your time!

There have been MANY suggestions for this for many years. Not sure why this is such a big deal. Put ALL data in a single folder and allow us to store it on a cloud folder. Add a "lock" file that stores the IP or computer name or something that identifies the current location that has the files open. If another location tries to open then warn user but allow the new instance to kick the other instance off and take over.

I am a programmer and have written such apps myself. Not a big deal for multiple windows copies, since I am not a mobile app programmer I am not sure how easy it would be on the mobile version. It certainly would be awesome if it would work. I would use the app then. I don't use it now for this very reason.

Back