• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

dry hop 0 days?

vanmoo

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am researching recipes for next brew day and have found a space dust clone off of Beer Smith cloud which looks interesting.  The recipe calls for dry hoping at 0 days and I am trying to figure out what is meant by this.  I cant find answers when I search this.

I have read various guesses from flameout to whirlpool to adding to fermenter prior transferring to keg.  Can anyone please tell me what is meant by this?  Thanks       

Not sure what it means in that recipe but I designate 0 days if I'm hopping in the keg because therre's no option for keg in the hop menu.

vanmoo said:
I am researching recipes for next brew day and have found a space dust clone off of Beer Smith cloud which looks interesting.  The recipe calls for dry hoping at 0 days and I am trying to figure out what is meant by this.  I cant find answers when I search this.

I have read various guesses from flameout to whirlpool to adding to fermenter prior transferring to keg.  Can anyone please tell me what is meant by this?  Thanks     

Greetings vanmoo - one thing to keep in mind when reviewing recipes published by homebrewers on various websites is that many of the recipes are not ?start to finish? recipes.  In other words, I would not consider all the recipes actual and complete especially if the recipe indicates dry hop for 0 days.

In the instance of the ?Dry Hop for 0 days?, my guess is the brewer fully intended to dry hop his brew and in fact DID dry hop it, but simply didn?t enter the actual data into the recipe.  And, depending on when the recipe was published, the BS software the brewer used may not have had the ability to add a whirlpool or flame-out hop step so ?0? was the entry by default.

It?s been my experience that dry hop adds aroma; the amount of aroma is determined by the quantity of hops used and the duration in which the hops are in the beer.  My preference is 2-3 ounces of Citra for 4-7 days.  The aroma is amazing.

Good luck with your brew!

Thanks Bob and Keller. Since recipe does state seperate dry hopping I am leaning towards Bob?s explanation. Bob can you run through how you hop in the keg?

What I do is this... After primary fermentation is complete I transfer the beer to my corny keg. I place my dry hop addition into a hop bag or a stainless steel hop ball and place it in the keg and attach the lid. Purge the O2 with a couple of blasts of CO2 from my tank. I tie the hop bag or ball to a length of plain, flat dental floss. The flat kind allows the keg lid to seal better than even very thin monofilament line.

Kevin58 said:
What I do is this... After primary fermentation is complete I transfer the beer to my corny keg. I place my dry hop addition into a hop bag or a stainless steel hop ball and place it in the keg and attach the lid. Purge the O2 with a couple of blasts of CO2 from my tank. I tie the hop bag or ball to a length of plain, flat dental floss. The flat kind allows the keg lid to seal better than even very thin monofilament line.

Minor difference in how I personally handle it:  I use a large muslin bag and tie it to the dip tube for "beer out".  I slide the knot about halfway down the dip tube so it'll stay submerged for most of the keg's life.  Then transfer from fermenter to keg.  The knot isn't totally rock solid, but the keg won't move much during consumption so I've never seen it slip down.

vanmoo said:
Thanks Bob and Keller. Since recipe does state seperate dry hopping I am leaning towards Bob?s explanation. Bob can you run through how you hop in the keg?

I just put the hops in a fine mesh hop sock and drop it into the keg. I fine with gelatin and carbonate before adding the hops. 

I find the best time to dry hop is during fermentation when it drops below 1.020. I lift them out after four or five days to prevent any grassy flavours.

Back