• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry hopping

ggltd

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have tried various methods of dry hopping. So far all are a great disappointment. I have loose hopped in secondary, bagged in secondary, hop ball in corney. No hop aroma like Lagunitas or Head Hunter. (My favorites -I want to smell that goodness) Luckily I save these and re-use as bittering in new brews. Will try one more thing. Hop Randal between keg and Perlick. Any thoughts? Been brewing now about 16 years. Cheers

Since I started to hop in the corny instead of dry hopping I found there is a lot more hop aroma and flavor. Very pleased with the results.
Have only hopped in the keg with American type hops i.e. Cascade, Centennial. Will be trying Citra soon.

personally, i have gotten much better results from loose hopping in the secondary than i have from bagging in the secondary. but i have not gotten quite the success i want either.

are you making sure most, if not all, active fermentation has stopped before you add the hops? are you making sure to allow 3+ days for flavor/aroma absorption?
i actually assume you do, given your experience, but hey, i still make rookie mistakes sometimes and i've been brewing for 10 years myself.

i have been to 1 brewery that was using a Randal, and it was excellent, but have not tried it at home.

Well this is my version of a hop randel. Very easy to build. I will use this on my next kegged brew. The first advantage I see is easy removal from the brew, one thing that's really hard using corneys. Secondly the use of other additives other than hops. Spruce tips come to mind.

Attachments

• 20230326_145044_HDR~2.jpg
    20230326_145044_HDR~2.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 3
20231122_113704~2.jpgBrewed an IPA- not very good. Added rosemary in the Randell. Great save drawing a pint.

Back