• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dunkelweizen

B

borny

6lbs Wheat
2.5lbs Pilsner
.5lb Caramunich
.5lb Specal B
.5lb Aromatic

.25oz Mt. Hood FWH
.5oz  Mt. Hood 60 min
.25oz Mt. Hood 20 min

WLP hefe IV

what do you think?

edit: forgot to add the hop schedule.

Looks good...

Only thing I can think of is that you might want to use continental hops instead of Mt Hood.  Perhaps Hallertaeur?

Also - I have not used a lot of aromatic or special B, but they might be a little strong with a full pound (combined) in a wheat beer -- perhaps someone with more experience with them can comment however?

Cheers!
Brad

I've already brewed it....  

The flavor is definitely interesting!  I think Mt Hood is a derrivetive of hallertau.....I'm not sure though.  

If I were to brew it again I would use .5lb munich and a full pound of Special B and leave out Caramunich and Aromatic.  I really like the flavor of Special B.  

I forgot to mention I also used 2oz of chocolate.....

Ahh...
 Yes the chocolate is nice to have in a Dunkel.  I'll have to try some Special B - it is one of the few malts I have not tried in any significant quantity.

So...how does the beer taste overall?

Cheers!
Brad

The overall flavor is quite good!  I will botteling/kegging this one over the weekend!  I will be bottle conditioning the keg to get some extra sediment.

cheers,
borny

Back