• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Episode #62 - Beer Cleaning and Sanitation with Jon Herskovits

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Beer Cleaning and Sanitation with Jon Herskovits - BeerSmith Podcast #62
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/08/02/beer-cleaning-and-sanitation-with-jon-herskovits-beersmith-podcast-62/

Cheers,
Brad

The bottle sanitizer with a "couple squirts" John may be referring to in the podcast might be a sanitizer or "sulphiter" commonly used in home winemaking that is also a great for sanitizing bottles. I've used this sanitizer from More Beer for many years, "http://morebeer.com/products/sanitizer-injector-red-bottle-tree.html" with StanSan and it's been very effective. Northern Brewer and others have similar ones that work just as well.

The sanitizer can also be used for sanitizing hoses and racking canes. Put some warm PBW in first and with some vigorous pumping, it does a good job of cleaning hoses and racking canes before sanitizing.

A large stainless steel washer is useful for wide mouth bottles such as growlers and Tap-A-Draft kegs.

Bob

Agreed...  This thing is called a Vinator.  I have it too and it works great!

A video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9u0cIERnuQ

I know that this episode was about cleaning and sanitization.  However, a quick mention was made of using campden.  Was this almost a topic derailleur or is there any use for campden when cleaning/sanitizing?

Some hopefully positive feedback for 5 Star:
I do find PBW superior to Oxyclean/Sun oxygen but it isn't a cheap product!  I'm not suggesting that it should be as cheap as those products but I am saying I would buy it if it weren't so out of line.
From my LHBS, buying an 8lb jar of PBW makes the product ~0.35 p/Oz.
From my WallyWorld, a 6lb tub of Sun oxygen only costs me ~0.05 p/Oz.
With that type of savings, I find that the latter does a good enough job.

If anyone knows of a cheaper way to buy PBW without having to get a loan for a drum of it, please let me know!  It is a great product!!!  :)

I just listened to this interesting episode and two things caught my attention.

1...The guest commented that PBW is bad for Teflon. He referenced Teflon pans, but I wonder about thread tape; which I have throughout my otherwise stainless, copper and silicone system. Does anyone know about this issue?

2...The guest commented that campden tablets (potassium metabisulphite) can impart phenolic flavors, are fine for wine process but shouldn't be used in beer. Leaving water out for 24 hours or boiling might be fine for chlorine, but many municipalities use chloramines, which is chlorine bound with amonia. I've read on other forums that chloramines aren't solved by boiling. Any thoughts on this?

I corresponded with some folks at Five Star Chemicals, and they had this response:

"Hi Jesse,

PBW is fine with Teflon gaskets and tape.  Overtime it will wear out but not like a teflon pan where it will literally wipe off.  My chemists reply to your second question is below:

Yes, most municipalities use chloramines.  I have brewed with the campden tablets and couldn't taste much.  A better solution is to use a Charcol and or RO filter.

Cheers,"

Back