• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Episode #96 - Trends in India Pale Ale (IPA) with Mitch Steele

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Trends in India Pale Ale (IPA) with Mitch Steele - BeerSmith Podcast #96

http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/01/20/trends-in-india-pale-ale-ipa-with-mitch-steele-beersmith-podcast-96/

Cheers,

Brad Smith

I wonder if anyone caught specifics on water chemistry that Mitch referred to for his IPAs.  I thought I heard him say that Stone targets 120 ppm carbonates and about 70 ppm calcium, but I can't get this chemistry to make the math work for proper pH given that he also doesn't like to use crystal malts.  He didn't mention anything about acidifying the mash, but I can only assume that Stone does if he's right about the carbonate to calcium ratio.

He could be including the 70ppm calcium in the hardness number of 120ppm.

I don't think that makes sense, unless you mean he's saying 70 ppm calcium and 50 ppm carbonates.  Is that what you mean?

Yeah that is what I mean. But he doesn't say carbonates, he just says hardness. Which might also include sulfates as well as calcium. magnesium, or carbonates and perhaps chlorides as well.

Back