• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profile boil time vs. Recipe boil time

padajones

Apprentice
Reaction score
When associating an equipment profile to a recipe does BeerSmith automatically adjust for a difference between the two if it exists. For example, if I have an equipment profile which says it is a 60min boil w/ .75gal boil off per hour and the recipe says the boil time is 90 min, will BeerSmith automatically calculate a 1.125gal boil off? Or do I need to go into that recipe's copy of the equipment profile and adjust it?

The boil time in the recipe is overwritten by the stated boil time in your equipment profile. You can add the equipment profile and then adjust the boil time and the program will compensate for the change in the amount of water which is boiled off *if you have the box checked in the equipment profile to 'use boil off as an hourly rate'.*

When I transcribe a recipe from another source where the boil time differs from my equipment profile I use the icon in the recipe design tab to the immediate right of the Equipment box... hover over and it will read "edit the equipment settings for this recipe". This will make the change to the equipment profile in this recipe only and not affect your primary profile.

Thanks for the replies. Your explanations combined w/a little experimentation and watching closely made this WAY more clear to me!

Back