• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profile for BIAB with No Sparge - Help!

cubalz

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently got BeerSmith2 and I am trying to set up an equipment profile for BIAB and no-sparge. I have been poring through the internet looking for answers and just getting more confused. When I have converted recipes in the past for no-sparge, I increase change the strike water amount to also include the sparge water so I can get a full boil. I think that it is possible to have BS increase the total water needed and also include the amount for grain absorbtion (not sure exactly how either) but I do not see where I can get BS to add 20% to the grain bill. Can someone help me? I am resorting to hand calculating which defeats the purpose of using BeerSmith.

Thanks!
John

The full volume BIAB is a native option in BeerSmith.  You can take any mash profile, or create one of your own, and click on the area which is marked as 'Brew in a Bag (BIAB) and full boil mash'

This will automatically combine the mash and sparge water for your infusion volume.

See attached pic for snip shot of BIAB mash profile area for BIAB mash.

Attachments

• BIAB option question.JPG
    BIAB option question.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,348
Thank you very much. How can I get BS to adjust the grain volumes to account for the efficiency loss of using the no sparge method? In the past, as per the directions of John Palmer I adjust my grain +20%. Can this be accomplished in BS?

The grain bill would be adjusted according to your mash efficiency, which is controlled by the brew house efficiency you entered into your equipment profile.  You would need to know the efficiency of the original recipe to figure this out or what I do when entering a recipe from a source which does not state the efficiency of the recipe is to enter the grain bill and hop amounts per the recipe with my equipment profile and then use the sliding scales below the ingredient box on the design tab to adjust the recipe to match the original for gravity, color and bitterness.

If this is your first time using BeerSmith for your recipes and you normally scale up 20%, I would scale the grains according to your standard procedure when you enter a new recipe and then once brewed, BeerSmith will calculate your actual mash and brew house efficiency on the 'session' tab once you enter your measured gravities and volumes.  You can use those numbers to adjust your equipment profile for future brews.

Personally, I have never had to adjust a grain bill up for full volume BIAB.  I grind my grains on the fine side and get about 86% to 87% mash efficiency.  I actually need to scale the grain bill up when moving a recipe from my BIAB system to my mash tun set-up where I only get around 82% mash efficiency.

Try watching this. It helped me tremendously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKiEjhxo2oo

Absolutely great tutorial.  It explains and provides a process to review and use. 

Back