• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Error Importing File on Mac

rockmontbrewing

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded BeerSmith 2 on my Mac, and am trying to import my BeerSmith 1.4 recipes from my old PC.  I followed the instructional video.  I exported the recipes as a .BSM file, and saved it to the desktop of the new Mac.  Then, when I try to "open" it, I get an error message, "error importing file".  Any help?

Hi,
  A few people have had problems with BeerSmith 1.4 files - most I've tracked seem to have unprintable characters in the notes or other section.

The quickest way to work around it at the moment is to run BeerSmith 1.4 and break your large BSM file into a series of smaller ones.  It is likely that only 1-2 recipes are causing the problem so if you break it down you will be able to import most and find the one or two that might have problems.

Brad

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately it didn't work.  I tried breaking it up into smaller files as suggested.  I also tried going into specific recipes to remove any characters that may be out of the ordinary.  Is there anything else I can do?  I really don't feel like rebuilding them all by hand.

I just noticed this thread - I reported this bug for 2.057. 2.050 (for me) works fine importing .bsm files from 1.4

I am having the same problem, even tried removing all notes importing them one at a time but still get the error...

And is there no way of importing the inventory?

I also have problems. I receive an error message when trying to open recipes created with the old version of beersmith. It tried to remove special characters but it doen't work. Really annoying.

Same Same and not different.  I have tried every which way, followed the video and still ERROR.  Frustrating!  :'(

Same error on my Mac.

Question, does anyone even moderate these boards? There seems to be a lot of issues that go completely unanswered?

A test: I just exported a good recipe from BS2 in .bsm format (beer smith 1) and then tried to import that .bsm file back into BS2 and guess what? Error Importing File! This indicates a major flaw that BS2 cannot import it's own file exported as .bsm. Why hasn't BeerSmith figured this out?

When I first got BS2 (very first release, may have been beta) my PC friend sent me both individual recipes and as a group in .bsm format. I was unable to import any of them. When he sent them as .xml they imported fine.  I also imported all of my old recipes from BeerAlchemy as .xml files with no problems. So, try exporting from BS1 in xml format and then see if importing works.

Please post results.

Having the same exact issue. I cant seem to find the solution. Did anybody ever find how to fix or did you have to manually enter all of your old data?

I just got it to work. I exported all the files into the XML format about 10-recipes at a time. I then imported those into BS2. Once in BS2 I copied and pasted the XML into the recipe folder and that seemed to work.

Hope that helps.

If you email the BSM files you are trying to import to me I will do my best to convert them and email them back to you in BeerSmith2 format.  I won't share them with anyone.

Brad

Back