• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ESB Ideas

Sandyfeet

Brewer
Reaction score
I recently brewed something in between an ESB and English Pale Ale that I enjoyed. After visiting a new brewery a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I would like to make a full blown, very simple ESB at home using BIIB at some point in the future.
I realize I will be using Maris Otter, probably some combination of Fuggles and EKG hops, and probably WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 yeast.
I have been looking at YouTube videos and reading various articles online. Although the recipes are similar in some ways, the amounts and types of crystal malts seem to vary widely. I have seen a recipe that is only Maris Otter, Crystal 80, and Brown Malt. That recipe appeals to me, but I was looking for some other input. I would like something more dark copper in color, something with some breadiness, 5-6%, and again, simple. I would welcome any ideas if y'all have any to share

ESB is the name of a Fuller's product and not really a style name. What is commonly called ESB is a Strong Bitter or English Pale Ale which explains the wide variety of ingredients. If you want the real ESB then go with a Fuller's recipe. Fortunately a photo of a page from the actual Fuller's brewing log containing the recipe was published in Twitter some years ago plus former Fuller's head brewer, John Keeling, has also detailed the recipe in several interviews so there is no guessing as to how it was made*. Recipe and Twitter photo attached**.

*ESB at Fullers is partigyled to also make London Pride. Both are made with the exact same grist with only the hopping rates being different. (There is a notation for something called CB in the photo. That would be Chiswick Bitter which I don't believe is made any longer but at the time of this photo three commercial beers were being made from one mash.)

**Keep in mind that the recipe changes over time as do all recipes at all breweries. Product availability, product cost, etc. all play a factor. The recipe and log book photo are just a snapshot in time and may not reflect what came before or what is brewed today.

Attachments

• Fullers ESB.bsmx
    25.5 KB · Views: 95
  • fullers esb pride chiswick.jpg
    fullers esb pride chiswick.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 174
Thank you for finding and posting the recipe.
I guess my description and language may be a little off. American and British versions of the same language often are a little different LOL. Even BJCP says" 'ESB' is a brand unique to Fullers; in America, the name has been co-opted to describe a malty, bitter, reddish, standard-strength (for the US) English-type ale. Hopping can be English or a combination of English and American."
The description of what I want to make would be more of the latter, but it helps to see the original and how others have modified the idea.
It appears the strength, ABV, and color are close to what I was planning, but I was planning more crystal malts and less of the very dark malts. I was also planning on using hops with lower alpha acids.
I appreciate the response and the education.

"I would like something more dark copper in color" <-- Achieve using darker crystal malts.

"something with some breadiness, 5-6%". <-- Mean full body? If so, mash at higher temps, 154-156F.

About 154 is what I had in mind, and thank you for confirming my Crystal 80 idea.

I recently brewed something in between an ESB and English Pale Ale that I enjoyed. After visiting a new brewery a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I would like to make a full blown, very simple ESB at home using BIIB at some point in the future.
I realize I will be using Maris Otter, probably some combination of Fuggles and EKG hops, and probably WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 yeast.
I have been looking at YouTube videos and reading various articles online. Although the recipes are similar in some ways, the amounts and types of crystal malts seem to vary widely epoxy flooring greenville sc. I have seen a recipe that is only Maris Otter, Crystal 80, and Brown Malt. That recipe appeals to me, but I was looking for some other input. I would like something more dark copper in color, something with some breadiness, 5-6%, and again, simple. I would welcome any ideas if y'all have any to share
7 weeks ago I brewed an all grain pale ale. 50/50 Pale Ale and Vienna malt. I bittered with Magnum and then dry hopped.

Dry hopped with pellets and for a short period of 3 days. Dry hop was done in a fine mesh bag, in the keg. Put this under pressure at room temp (lack of space in the fridge) and even at room temp it tasted amazing. It was cloudy like a NEIPA but with a low ABV and no hop burn. It made its way to the fridge, still pouring hazy, which is fine, but after about a week or so in the fridge (40 deg) It cleared up really nice. I was not expecting that.

So, if I would have simply chilled this for a week or two would I have lost this 'haze' I got out of the first gallon? The first few glasses did have a fine sediment in them, which was expected.

Also, yeast I used was Safale S-04.

The closer to freezing it gets the faster beer will drop clear. S-04 is highly flocculent so a week or 2 in the fridge, once active fermentation is complete, will make for a clear beer in most cases.

In my homebrewing experience using S-04 or 1968, don't keep the brew for a long time as off flavors will appear. Drink and enjoy before this happens.

I know as I "found" a case of bottled ESB. I kegged 5 gallons of the ESB. It was wonderful and the keg was kicked way too fast! I bottled the other 5 gallons thinking I didn't want ESB back-to-back. Foolish me. Forgot about the case of ESB. Recently found. Didn't age well at all. I hate to dump, I don't want to waste, but I will certainly not offer to anyone. I'm drinking my way thru the case to empty the case. I guess my penance to the brewing Gods...

Use it for cooking. Beer-battered fish and chips, etc. Even beer that doesn't taste great to drink will be fine for cooking. People do that with wine all the time.

--GF

Use it for cooking. Beer-battered fish and chips, etc. Even beer that doesn't taste great to drink will be fine for cooking. People do that with wine all the time.

--GF
Hmmm many a chef might disagree with you..... "if you can't drink it, don't cook with it"

I usually find with my not so good brews that after the third one, it starts to taste pretty good :)
I also will blend with a strong ale to improve it!

"I usually find with my not so good brews that after the third one, it starts to taste pretty good." What I normally do with "friends" guzzing my homebrew. After a few, substitue mass produced swill. They don't notice.

Back