• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est Final Gravity and Mash Temps (RIS)

Javaslinger

Brewer
Reaction score
I noticed today that my mash temp settings (Light, Med, or Full Body) seems to have zero impact on my estimated final gravity.  This is a Russian Imperial with WLP007.  Starting OG 1.112 and Final Gravity in all cases 1.039.  I'm trying to bring that final gravity down...

EDIT:  Seems this was related to the fact that WLP007 is set in Beersmith to have a max alcohol tolerance of 10%.  Once I adjusted that to 12%, everything started having an impact again....

Pretty much all of the yeast in the database are capped at 10%. There are numerous threads about the reasoning for this that explain it better than I can. You can do exactly as you did to get around the cap but it would be a good idea to double check with the yeast manufacturer's web site for updated specifications and make the change to the yeast in your database.

Yeah, manufacturer website lists a very informative 8-12% max alcohol for WLP007...  But numerous threads indicate people use this for 11-12% routinely.

To achieve the alcohol tolerance of a strain you really need the proper amount of healthy yeast and adequate O2 in the wort, among other things. I think most brewing software gives conservative numbers knowing that, more often than not, this isn't the case. Manufacturers likely give some wiggle room in there specs for the same reason.

Back