External Refrigerator Controllers

• Thread starter Thread starter maddspoiler
  • Start date Start date
Regarding lifting carboys in and out of a chest freezer, just go to HD, Lowes and buy yourself a pair of gloves that have rubber ribs on them. You get a great grip on your carboy, but still have to be careful. Mine are yellow.

I also have the Johnson controller and I'm satisfied with it and would recommend it to everyone (it's definitely worth the money)! I look up to everybody who does DIY projects, unfortunately I have a very limited talent regarding construction projects, and prefer to buy everything ;) It would be nice if some guys here would share their own projects, I'm curious!

8)I purchased both a chest and an upright freezer for fermenting and chilling kegged beer. I used the controllers and use a heat blanket when I want to use either one for ferminting. I use a pully system and harness to move my carboys or cornies in and out of the chest freezer. I purchased a lift at harbor freight that allows me to slide a carboy or keg to the upright freezer. Using both of these methods saves me from back pain and/or breaking a class carboy.

I found wide temperature swings in my home built kegerator (made from a new Danby fridge). It would swing up and down
from 27F to 42 and back within about an hour.   

So I bought a Johnson A419 digital controller, set it at 34-38 and that's what the fridge now runs at.

Seems to work fine.

Brian.   

I bought my Johnson Digital Controller  from Sear's and a 7.5 cubic foot chest freezer from HHGREGG. Got both for about $200. I did a lot of searching to get that low of a price.

I have a chest freezer with a box made of 2x10 to extend the lid higher, with a johnson digital controler just make sure you secure the sensor bulb for the controler well or it will fall out and you will have frozen lager. I also have taps on the front and can fit 4 kegs or three kegs and a carboy. I got the idea in byo magazine they have plans for the whole thing

Back