• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

extra racking

H

hunter

i was talking to a buddy of mine and i guess he used to brew beer a quite a few years ago and he said that he would ferment beer then rack to secondary for one week then rack again for one more week the rack again for bottling.he said it got rid of a lot more of the yeast sedement.has anyone ever tried this.

Racking once to your secondary and then to your bottling bucket or keg is enough.  Provided your not shaking your bucket prior to racking

that's what i thought sounds like extra work to me.although that last batch i did had a little bit of a yeasty aftertaste,after 9 weeks in bottles,i don't remember that same taste at 5 weeks.the beer still taste good,but it got me thinking about what my buddy said.

Just keep in mind  DO NOT aerate on the cold side except when transfering to the primary and the yeast addition.   :)

You could rack that many times, but each time you are exposing your beer to oxygen, or possible infection. I only rack to the secondary, then to the bottling bucket, and have not had a problem with too much sediment.

Back