• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Fridge - Thermocouple Placement?

::blush::

Thanks.  Full disclosure, I'm an aerospace engineer. So, a lot of this mathy stuff is old hat. :)

I only have 5 books on brewing:

How to brew, John palmer
Brewing classic styles, John Palmer & jamil z
Yeast, Chris white & jamil z
Designing great beers, ray daniels
Brew like a monk, Stan hieronomous

Other than that I listen to the brewing network every day.

I try to pass on what I can.

Good stuff tom. Any idea if the hot side of the stc-1000 10amps could handle a 1500 watt heating element?

Nope.

1500 watts / 120 volts = 12.2 amps.

For longevity, never run a relay past 75 percent of its rating. 

tom_hampton said:
You've got the right idea, Phil.  If you want to control the beer temp, you need to measure the beer temp.  The activity of fermentation generates quite a bit of heat.  So, your controller will have to work hard before fermentation starts, and after fermentation finishes....but, in the middle the yeast will do a lot of the work themselves.

In the future, you will want to get more controllers.  One for the air temp inside your fridge, and one for each beer.  I use heating pads to heat each carboy or bucket while keeping the air temp down at 45F or so.  I can ferment several different beers at several different temperatures this way...

I've been thinking about this lately.... Can you do a lager 45.0F next to an ale 68.0F using this method? You don't happen to have a link to the type of heating pad that you use?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F54AOW

But, if I do more I will use heat tape.

My fermentation room is sitting at 8C.  I have routinely ferment ales at 21C. I use buckets with the above heating pads, and an stc1000 temp controller. Then I cover the fermenter with reflectix insulation. 

Attached is a pic of half of my setup.

Attachments

• IMAG1537.jpg
    IMAG1537.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 18
I use a brew hauler on the carboy and stick the probe in between the hauler and the carboy

Back