• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Q & A II

C

crwright2020

I brewed a batch of kolsch on Monday night.  I pitched vial of wlp029 early (80 deg.) and there is no fermentation 1 1/2 days later.  Did I kill all the yeast at 80 deg. (does 2 deg. really make that big a difference)? 

Can I make a yeast starter with a new vial and repitch?  Do I have re reboil my wort or am I just screwed? 

If it makes any difference at this point there is a servo in the original batch.

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I seriously doubt you killed all the yeast at 80 degrees.  I pitch at that temp all the time, I try to get it below that but the hot (endless) Florida summer sometimes makes its hard.  Still ferments and makes good beer though admittedly with some esters. 

I would let it go for a couple more and see what happens.  Sometimes I put my primary in a big rubbermaid tub like thing with lots of ice and water and a frozen towel over the top with the fan going.  It does help bring the temp down but it does take some work.  I am constantly buying bags of ice, and transferring towels in and out of the freezer.  The more water around the fermenter the better because thats more water to absorb more heat. 

I usually have to take some water out too as I add more ice but again it does help.  Its just more work during the fermentation process than what you might normally be used to. 

Wastegate

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I agree with Wildrover about the temp. Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. Quantity, age of the Yeast, and how much Air was in the wort play a factor in how fast it starts to ferment. If at all possible you should prepare a starter at least two to three days ahead of time so you know you have viable yeast to pitch.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Yeast Starter
Brewer: Preston Brown
Style: Specialty, Experimental, Historical Beer
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0) Recipe to make a 1.040 OG liquid yeast starter; Scale Recipe to make larger starter or step up.  Hops help preserve the starter if you intend to store it or use it in a few days.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 0.25 gal     
Boil Size: 0.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 15 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
4.0 oz        Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)        Dry Extract  100.00 %     
0.05 oz      Whatever Hops You Have On Hand [6.00 %]  (Hops        11.1 IBU     

Notes:
------
Recipe to make a 1.040 OG liquid yeast starter; Scale Recipe to make larger starter or step up.

Cheers

Preston

C

crwright2020

Thanks,

The wort had some ativity this morning.  I will thy that stater recipe next time.

C