• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermenting

elephant_rider

New Forum Member
Reaction score
New to the site but not new to Beersmith. I was just wondering who prefers fermenting in a glass carboy or in a plastic "ale pail".  I use the

plastic pail because it is alot easier to clean but would like to know if there is any noticable difference between the two...

I use the plastic food grade pail for a few days so the teast can populate the wort then transfer to a glass carboy under air  lock.

However, i dont think the  glass or plastic  makes any diference with this level of alcohol.
just like to finish mt fermentation under air lock.
The glass does allow  me to vier the sedement during the clatifying stage.

I use both. I started buying the plastic buckets after one of my glass carboy broke with a full batch of a Dark Belgian Strong went washing away down my driveway.
I don't notice any difference in the beer using the plastic or the glass.
A lot of guys in my Beer Club use plastic buckets, with great success.
I think if cleaning and sanitation are not spot on that those tiny scratches that always show up could be hidding some unwanted critters and that could show up as some off flavors in the beer.
I just make sure my cleaning and sanitation are top notch and so far so good.
stevemwazup

Primary in  a bucket.  Secondary in a carboy. 

I have a buddy that uses a carboy for both and it is a mess cleaning the carboy as a primary. :p

Here is the situation with the buckets .
Plastic is porous which means it has potential to absorb flavors and even colors over time as well as hide and or hold microscopic enemies. There is nothing wrong with using buckets as long as its with good sanitation. but for a rest and for clarification or lagers you will always want to transfer to a glass carboy.     

dogma46an2 said:
Plastic is porous which means it has potential to absorb flavors and even colors over time as well as hide and or hold microscopic enemies. There is nothing wrong with using buckets as long as its with good sanitation. but for a rest and for clarification or lagers you will always want to transfer to a glass carboy.     

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Since I switched from glass to plastic I kind of got the feeling that the plastic was affecting the outcome of the beer. Now maybe it was just me being paranoid but this reply goes along with what was/is going through my head. I think I will try plastic for primary and glass for secondary and dry hop.

elephant_rider said:
dogma46an2 said:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Since I switched from glass to plastic I kind of got the feeling that the plastic was affecting the outcome of the beer. Now maybe it was just me being paranoid but this reply goes along with what was/is going through my head. I think I will try plastic for primary and glass for secondary and dry hop.

Smart man ... I mean i use buckets still here and there . but glass and or metal is the way to go my friend

For the past year I have been using Better Bottle 6 gallon ported carboys for both primary and secondary.  I did it mainly to stop siphoning.  The carboys are not difficult to clean.  PBW or oxy-clean about 1/3 full, plug the top and turn it upside down in the sink.  Dissolves the stuff away.  The PET is light weight and easy to handle.  I can also see what is happening inside, curiosity you know.

David 

Glass for both primary and secondary not to difficult to clean with a brush and a jet wash faucet attachment.
cheers
Mark

We'll come down on the side of glass only because that's the way we went early on so thats what we mostly use. Like most we did start with a bucket and still use it. Now that we harvest and repitch yeast through our brew season, I'm starting to like the buckets again. We agree they hold odor and can be scratched etc. We also agree that they are permeable and oxygen can come through - slowly but through. So, when we are starting with a new Activator of Wyeast or sachet of dry yeast, we use the bucket for 7 days as the Primary because the yeast yield is low in the first batch and difficult to harvest the needed 300 to 500 ml for the next batch. We always secondary for a minimum of 14 days in glass - longer if the kegs are full and I have to wash bottles!  ;D
Once we have repitched we typically collect 1000 ml or more from the bottom of the carboy. Since we only repitch 500 ml at most, we aren't as concerned about collecting every last ml of yeast that was grown. From then on we use the glass because we have more of them. Sooooo, We really see a downside to plastic if you keep it clean and don't keep the batch in it for extended periods of time. Common sense and care with cleaning go a long way  :D

Preston

Back